Anyone have a secret cure for a child's COUGH? My DD has been il for 10+ days and the doctor won't give her anything!

My daughter has been sick for over 10 days, fever on/off, bad cold, sniffles, sneezing, coughing.....the coughing is REAL bad a night. We have her propped up so much she is sleeping sitting up. We have the humidifier on, drinking lots of juice & water....gave he honey & hot water with lemon. Any other secret cures for coughs? Willing to try anything safe! Poor thing hasn't slept in a week. Thank you!!

tracy223

Asked by tracy223 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• vicks vapor rub on bottoms of her feet then put her socks on.
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• When my dd was young we could give them meds. They told me it was alright to give Dimetap and thats what I gave her. My youngest is almost 4 and we use Motrin Cold and Cough on her.

Answer by gemgem at 10:21 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I use cough and cold medicine. But MIL just told me to try putting Vicks Vapor Rub on their little feet and putting socks on over it....I don't know if it'll work but it's worth a try.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:24 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Depending on the age of your daughter, you could try Delsym. Call the dr for the correct dosage. I've read that buckwheat honey works even better, though. It's kind of foul-tasting, but it doesn't take much. 1/2 tsp for kids over 1. I think 1 tsp for kids over 4? My son has a bad cough when he gets sick because he has asthma (had RSV as an infant). Poor little guy would cough so hard, he'd throw up. He's on singulair now, and it seems to help.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Delsym worked very well for my son. My Dr. said he could take it ONLY for nightime if the coughing was causing my child to be unable to sleep. I guess they like for your child to cough it out if possible, but my guy couldn't sleep at all and that's what gave him some relief.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• DAni has it right my lo stops coughing with the vicks during the day and vicks on the feet plus cough meds. hint* it works on adults too lol i did it to myself and it worked wonders.
    Alexsmom07

Answer by Alexsmom07 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• the Delsym is the best over the counter out there.Why will he not medicate her? 10 days is a long time for a child to be sick w/no help...maybe look into a second opinion.I would definantly take her to someone else to ask what they thought.Poor thing, hope she gets well soon.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My son just recently had a cold for 2 weeks (or at least that's what I thought it was). I took him to the dr and the dr said that there was no such thing as a two week cold. He told me it may be allergies and to try an over the counter claritin or zyrtec. I did and within 24 hours we went from up all night coughing to nothing. He was clear as a bell. Try over the counter claritin or zyrtec. If that helps you may want to consider getting your child allergy tested.
    shelleyla20

Answer by shelleyla20 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• frogdawg, and bearsjen i agree with, the vicks is no, i'd get the delsym!!! We use it and works. I'd go to another DR, and there is such a thing as a 10 day cold, cold symptoms can linger. My AUNT is a ped. Ocean spray is also good. Thats about all i got.
    naynkiwismom

Answer by naynkiwismom at 1:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2009