What do you like are age appropriate responsibilities?

My son is 7 and my daughter is 5. I don't want to be a parent who does everything for their children, but i also don't want to force them to do things they aren't ready for or can't handle. I need some advice on what are appropriate responsibilities for their ages? Should they get themselves up in the morning pick their own clothes check their own homework. things like that.

kamalovesjesus

Asked by kamalovesjesus at 10:40 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Making there beds. Picking up their toys.

Answer by louise2 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I have a 7 year old boy and he gets up in the morning to his alarm and showers. I wake up when he gets out of the shower and make him something for breakfast. I pick his clothes out and set them out the night before-I have let him pick his clothes out and found out that didn't work very well lol. I always do his homework with him.

freespirit227

Answer by freespirit227 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• At that age there isnt alot really. Pick up their own clothes and put them in the dirty clothes, pick up their toys, put their plates in the sink, if you have a pet maybe get the pet water or food, The 7 yr old I would say put the clothes out for them the night before and expect them to get dressed on their own, the 5 yr old is a bit young but you can try it lol. You can have them help you put laundry in the dryer, or separate colors. Mostly you will have to supervise most of it but they can start learning small things now.

Answer by gemgem at 11:18 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Well my oldest son is 5 (6 next month) and he loves helping, he likes helping with the folding of clothes and hoovering, and makes his own bed in the morning and he also likes helping me out in the kitchen.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 12:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My older kids are 8, 7 and 6 and they take care of themselves. I wake them but they are responsible for getting up, getting dressed, getting their breakfast and being ready for school on time (with prompting from me to hurry up). They clean their own room, fold and put away their own laundry, bathe themselves, brush their own teeth. They sweep, clean tables and counters, unload the dishwasher, carry their laundry down 2 flights of stairs to the basement, help take care of their 2yo sister (they help her get dressed, get her breakfast and lunch--they enjoy the responsibility).
    They've been doing these things since they were 3 or 4. Even my 2yo has chores--she cleans her room (on her own), puts dirty clothes in the hamper, dirty dishes in the sink, cleans off the table, helps unload the dishwasher, etc.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My 6 year old daughter wakes up makes her bed take her shower get her self dressed teeth is brushed room is cleaned and I haven't even gotten out of bed yet. She picks out her own clothes for school and when she comes home she is at her desk doing her homework once clothes are changed she makes sure they are all hung up and then actually comes into the kitchen to sweeps the floor after dinner is done.
    My 11 year old does the samething but will not pick up a broom to save his life. Must be a boy thing..LOL
    He takes out the garbage puts his clothes inside the washer rakes the leaves out the yard cleans the bathroom tub and toilet.
    These are the things they are responsible for. As they get an age older their responsibilty increases. My daughter will be 7 in 2 weeks. She knows she will began to do dishes on that day. My son will be 11 in April and began cleaning the leaving room and vacuum.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 12:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• my girls fix their own breakfast, pick up their dirty clothes, fold clothes, put their clothes away, empty the dishwasher, load the dishwasher, feed the pets, walk the pets, make their bed (only when clean sheets are put on), sweep, vacum, watch their bro for very short periods like for me to go potty or cook. and no, i am not mean and make them do these things every day, only when they need done. but at 5 and 7 they are quite capable. have fun teaching them, mom.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I don't have a 7 year old, but I can say what my younger kids are doing....

4 (5 next month) year old....gets own clothes in the morning, gets self ready for school, gets self ready for bed (potty, brushing teeth, pajamas), dirty clothes to laundry room, clears his own dishes, scrapes off garbage and loads dishes into dishwasher, picks up his toys

3 year old....helps me dress him (fine motor skill problems), dirty clothes to laundry room, clears dishes from table, scrapes plates, loads dishes into dishwasher, picks up toys

2 year old...dirty clothes to laundry room, carries dishes to kitchen counter (tries to load dishwasher lol), picks up toys
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• 20 month old: picks up toys and puts them away, helps clear the table with older daughters help, puts items around the house back in their place, makes bed neat before getting out, puts all her laundry into basket and pushes it to the laundry room for washing.

7 year old: sorts and folds and puts away laundry, clears table after dinner, dusts the house, cleans her room, makes her bed, cleans her bathroom, sweeps hallways and helps wash the car.

If children have parents who do everything for them, they will never learn to do it themselves. I don't want my kids expecting anyone to do anything for them. They will be self-reliant.
    AvaJewel00

Answer by AvaJewel00 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My DD's are the same age as your kids (7 & 5).
    Their chores:
    TOYS: pick up toys,
    GARBAGE: gather garbage cans in laundry room,
    LAUNDRY: I will seperate the laundry into different baskets and colors and start the water in the washer - the girls then put the clothes in the washer - when that is done I put the wet clothes in a basket and they have to put them in the drier. I take the clothes that are done and fold everything and put them in piles on my bed, they have to put the easy stuff away (underwear, socks, under shirts, pj's.)
    CrzyHome

Answer by CrzyHome at 2:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2009