Tax Hike for the Poor? (per Washington Times Article)

Democrat, Rep. Frank Pallone [D-NJ] introduced and passed House legislation last week to reauthorize the State Children's Health Insurance (SCHIP) program. Providing healthcare options for various of American's making under $80,000 a year.
This expansion is financed by raising the federal tax on CIGARETTES from 39 cents per pack to $1 per pack, a 156 percent increase, and raising taxes on other tobacco products by a similar percentage.
An analysis by the Tax Foundation found that cigarette taxes hit the poor harder than any other federal tax, hitting the bottom 20 percent, 37 times harder than raising the same amount of revenue from the income tax, because while the income tax falls mostly on people with higher incomes the cigarette tax falls heavily on less affluent Americans.

Do you think this is a Good Idea?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Links
    http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jan/02/tax-hikes-for-the-poor/
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-2&tab=summary
    http://www.americansforprosperity.org/010209-tax-hikes-poor
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• oops, one more link
    http://www.taxfoundation.org/
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• No. I have said forever I think the best way to fix the heath insurance issues for children and families without it is very simple. They need to do what they used to do in my state. We had a program where if you made under 55k a yr and had no insurance you paid $55 a month for health insurance through blue cross and the govt offset the difference. People feel better when they do for themselves. Raising taxes on anything, cigarettes, sodas etc isnt the answer.

Answer by gemgem at 10:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I don't see it as taxing the poor as much as taxing those who choose to smoke. since smoking is a want and not a need I have no problem with it. and since the tax increase will be use to help NJ children's with health care costs, I'm all for it.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 10:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I think if everyone is going to have to "give" a little more. This is a start. I don't agree with tax increases for anyone. I do not smoke. But I will fight to protect the right for anyone to do so.
    But, given the state of American Healthcare, I have to ask if there is a better way to go about this?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i will fight to protect the right of anyone who wants to smoke as well. However, As far as I know he is not banning smoking in NJ.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 10:47 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• gemgem, I agree with you.

ny.chica~that was the title of the Washington Times article based on Taxfoundation.org stating who the tax hike will largely effect.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Right now they start with smokers, tomorrow with candy eaters and then where does it stop? Thats the problem. There are better answers out there then making smokers pay for someones health care. Why not make the parents work part time or do something like community service to get free health care for their kids? Shouldnt they be the ones paying in some way not random people who might not even have kids?

Answer by gemgem at 10:48 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• It would be nice if, when they do this, a box of patches didn't cost more than a carton of cigarettes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• yes, last time prices went up that was the final push my husband and I needed to quit smoking all together. It's not taxing the poor, it's taxing smokers. Smoking is a privilege, a luxury and not a necessity.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:49 AM on Jan. 21, 2009