What are proper ways to discipline a 17 month old?

My son is very active, but temper tantrums are his favorite thing!
He kicks, screams, bites, and hits!

RmpMommy

Asked by RmpMommy at 9:43 AM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Play pen time outs. He still too young to seat still in time out but a crib will make him hate nap and bed time. Use it just for time outs and no toys or attention. Just for a one min each time he throws tantrum. Biting well give him teething ring cold when he is good if wants and normal one when in time out.
    leovirgo_mom3

Answer by leovirgo_mom3 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• With the temper tantrums-ignore him, but keep a close eye on him. Make sure the environment around him is safe and make sure he is not able to harm himself. This will help him to learn that acting out like that is not an appropriate behavior. For the kicking, screaming, biting and hitting, try time out for 1 min. and try to explain to him that this is not nice. It is going to be difficult for him to understand at this age, but as time goes on, he will began to understand you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• cont...from previous post-Don't forget to praise him for his good behavior
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I have a active boy, so I understand your frustrations. A play-pen time out has helped and also letting him run and lose some of the energy he has has helped. It still is a work in progress, somedays I just want to loss my mind but you have to be positive because your child can sense your frustation. If you ever need to vent e-mail me because I do understand and I know it helps to talk. Goodluck to the both of us.
    jenniferplumley

Answer by jenniferplumley at 8:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2008