What Do I Use?

My son is 11 months old. He has a milk protein allergy and is given breastmilk. I do not eat any dairy products. Once he turns one, do I give him soy milk since he cannot have whole milk? Would he need to get vitamins along with the milk? I am not really sure how that works. Any help is appreciated. Thank you ladies.

TeaAndrews

Asked by TeaAndrews at 11:02 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would talk to your doctor about this. A lot of doctors don't recommend soy to infants who already have a known allergy. Soy is one of the eight most common allergens. He/She may recommend that you breastfeed until two. I had a friend whose doctor did this. My daughter is seriously lactose intolerant. It is DEFINITELY not the same, but I had to cut out dairy while I was nursing too, so I understand a little. Don't try any other type of milk before you discuss it with your doctor because you don't want to accidentally set off a bad reaction.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My daughter had to drink soy...I was unable to breastfeed her (no bashing please...nobody knows the story)...so she was on a soy formula and she was drinking soy milk when she was one. Yes I was to give her vitamins, but you really shoudl talk to his doctor about it. They'll know what's best for your child.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• You can do so milk, rice milk, almond milk... have you tested to see if he has outgrown it the protien allergy... many times they do.

You can try goat's milk too.. it is easier to digest.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:27 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Yes you need to cut dairy our or your diet since you are nursing and at 12 months old he can still nurse and doesn't need any supplemental "milk". I would not suggest soy, but instead goat's milk if you do plan on giving milk at 12 months old.

My son had dairy issues and nursed until 19 months old when I was about 5 months pregnant with #2. I then tried giving cow's milk and found that raw cow's milk works great for him. Until then he got no other "milk" then breastmilk. My daugther is still nursing at 19 months and gets no other milk unless she steals a sip from her brother's cup. She does not seem to have the dairy problem though since I ate it while nursing her with no issues.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2009