My 4 y/o boy wants Legos, what should I buy to start him off with?

Names of sets would be great...

lulajean

Asked by lulajean at 11:17 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Shoot I cant remember the name but at Wal-Mart they have the mega blocks, and they come in a dump truck. It's pretty cheap, just not a whole lot of blocks. But its a good starter kit.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 11:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My dd is almost 4 and for christmas she got the pack with the wheels you know just a general package. I got my grandson the thomas starter pack which is the train one. Its a great set for a boy to start with the peices arent that small.They also have a lego fire truck pick up set. That one is good for boys too.

Answer by gemgem at 11:20 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i think they are called clipos. my son got some for christmas (hes 2) and he loves them.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• What's he interested in? My son has a rescue set (not Lego brand, but same idea) - it was a gift to us, but he LOVES fire trucks, helicoptors, etc...and they were all included in this set. It's more than he can handle and I end up building the pieces, but now he's starting to just play with the pieces himself and he can grow with it. I would look for sets that reflect what your son is interested in - cars, construction, rescue vehicles, castles...etc...blocks are pretty flexible because even if they don't build to the exact model, they can still learn basic manipulation skills and using their imagination. If he gets frustrated with too much stuff, then start with small sets and slowly build the collection based on what he's interested in.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• MY son is 4 and he likes the duplo blocks wich I believe are made by the lego company there slightly larger than the regular legos so there easier for them to manipulate.
    Annie080174

Answer by Annie080174 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have a 2-year-old. He loves that stuff. We got him an original (not the big blocks) mini Legos--a four-wheeler with a man that sits on it. He loves that thing. He has older brothers that have the bigger kits and he wants to be like them.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I 'd like to get some action items, planes, trains, autos BUT this is my concern:

Sometime last year, we were at the pharmacy and had to wait a very UNreasonable period of time, I bought the lego helicopter from the toy isle. It was for older kids (6+ maybe ) so I put it together & gave it to him.
    It kept coming apart! it REALLY seemed to be made 'to be assembled' more than to be played with after assembly. My son did NOT enjoy it as a toy, and I didn't either. I assembled that thing about 9 times before we tossed it.

((((insert soap-opera music here))))
    Dare we try again??? he is going to be 5 y/o in a few more months- are we ready now???
    If so, should I get the big blocks, or is he too old for those?

lulajean

Answer by lulajean at 8:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2009