How far apart should you space your kids?

I want another one now, but my son is 2 1/2. I have friends that waited five years. Just want to get everyone's opinion.

GoodWrenchMom

Asked by GoodWrenchMom at 9:54 AM on Jul. 19, 2008 in About CafeMom

• As far as part as you want them or can handle them....

Mine are 10 months apart; GRANTED it was NOT plan that way!!! but I know a few moms that have kids 2-3 years apart, because that's how they "plan it". Just do what is right for you family and don't worry about anyone else :)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:12 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Only my first was planned. My second pregnancy was not planned, but not prevented. And I had twins ten months later. We tried to prevent the 3rd pregnancy, but God had other plans, and he was born 18 months after the twins. I found it easier to have them all babies at once because I was in "baby mode" and I was used to being up at night, making bottles, changing diapers, and I didn't have to get back in the groove.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 10:19 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• It's completely your choice and preference. I've always heard that between two and three years in spacing is really ideal as they're close together in age and it's easier for them to bond. My son will be 23 months old when my daughter is born.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 10:24 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Mine are 17 months and were planned even closer. It just took longer for the fertility drugs to work the second time.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 10:59 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• My kids will be around 16 mo apart not planned but i think it would be better for me to get my kid bearing days out of the way so i can start on my schooling.
    GraciesMom52407

Answer by GraciesMom52407 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• There is no right or wrong way to have your kids. Have them whenever you feel like you want to be pregnant again!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• How ever far apart you want them. There is no right or wrong answer and the ideal age difference is something personal. My first 3 kids are each a year apart and I love it. I can't imagine having spread them out any farther. They are best friends and do everything together and were their own little playgroup when they were toddlers. They are 8, almost 7 and almost 6 now. I also have a 2yo that is 3 1/2 years younger then my 3rd and it was crazy going back to baby stage...starting over. I feel bad for her sometimes because she has little in common with her siblings and they don't always want her around. This year they will all be in school and she will be alone for the first time in her life. It's going to be rough for her. She's used to having someone to play with all the time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:51 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• My kids are 6 years apart. My husband thinks that is ideal for us, however, I wanted them closer. But we had fertility problems, so this works for us now. Go with how you feel and where you are at now. My mother told me that there is no right time to have children. If you wait for the perfect moment, there will always be something else to wait on.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Mine are 3 1/2 years apart. Not planned just turned out that way. I have three
    latinmamma

Answer by latinmamma at 11:59 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• its all about what you can handle. i got 4 and my two youngest are the same age for 1 mo and 2 weeks out of the year. my two middle ones are the same 4 about 2 weeks. but i did wait 5 years between my first and second. it dose help whan you got an older child to help. my kids learned more from there big sis than me.
    audreymangels

Answer by audreymangels at 1:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2008