How to wean my 11 month old off from breastfeeding?

He loves to nurse! But I am going on Vacation for 3 days and plus I am pregnant and have been wanting to wean him I know breast is best he's been doing it since birth only breastmilk never had formula! I feel sad and bad at the same time I am so engorged but he hasn't seemed to interested today to nurse since he takes his sippy cup so well. But this may be a good time to stop. I need my newborn to have all the nutrients and colostrum but also I am wanting to stop nursing because he doesn't want to nurse much in the day more so at night and he wakes up 3 to 4 times a night just to nurse I'm sooo exhausted and would rather give a sippy cup because then my stomach growls like a wolf! And.... not to mention I get very thirsty afterwards and am so low on energy,.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol my stomach lol afterwards I will growl lol like a dog non stop lol I guess that's a better way to put it. But I wanted to nurse up to 18 months, I breastfed my daughter up tp 13 months. But it's soo tiring and He's very healthy. I do plan to squirt milk in his cereal and foods so he can still get nutrients. All the antibodies.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2012

• You need to know that unless you have a high risk pregnancy, you can continue to nurse all the way to delivery and NOTHING is taken from the developing baby. So don't feel you must wean for that reason.

It's also possible to travel and continue nursing; I used to do ten day business trips from ten weeks postpartum and nursed to 26 months.

If you want to wean, however, drop one feeding per week till gone. That's it.; Distract and delay. Don't expect cooperation from him, though!

Answer by gdiamante at 10:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2012

• Many mothers successfully tandem nurse. You can pump before you leave, and freeze breast milk; you can pump while you are away, to keep your supply up.

If you have not already done so, introduce a sippy cup with water, and transition your son from one healthy beverage to another.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2012

• use NUK latex teat .... they'r helpful ... well it was for me .. i had to go back to work and leave her so i tryed many teat till she get the one more modelled to mother nipples .. good luck , and congrats for been prego ;)
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 12:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2012