How do I get a dog to quit chewing?

I adopted a dog he is 1 yr old and he will not quit chewing, any suggestions to get him to stop besides a muzzle?

Katilina

Asked by Katilina at 11:31 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Pets

• Yes get chew toys...when my dog was a puppy I got some kind of spray at the petstore..
    You would spray it on the stuff that he liked to chew...what ever it was...the dogs do not like..
    It worked..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:41 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Give her things she can chew on... like a raw hide bone, tennis ball etc. When she picks up (and before she has a chance) something that doesn't belong to her take it away and give her one of her toys. You also need to exercise the dog. Take her outside and play fetch with her. Some breeds need a lot of exercise. Dogs tend to chew when they are bored. A tired dog is a happy dog. I have a wicker basket in the living room that has the dog's toys in it.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• What breed his he? Most puppies are doing the natural instinct thing.Get the biggest raw hide bone you can find and give it to hm. Also the power walking is a great start to not being bored. Do you have a treadmill? If it's cold and snowy and you can't really play out side I would recommendone. I live in Fl but use mine for the dogs all the time. Watch him and make sure if he chews on things he is not suppose to, tell him NO and present him with something that is his.Toys,toys,toys for things to do. Walking is the # 1 thing to occupy their time and tire themselves out. Good luck, and try to enjoy your pup! lol

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 12:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• he is teething. it is totally normal. get lots of toys and rawhide or other hard snacks. it will help with the pain he is in and when he chews on a "no no" then give him the toy or "yes item"
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 1:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• redirection. you see him chewing on something he shouldn't be, you give him a firm "NO" and then give him a toy he can chew on. then praise him for being a good boy and chewing on his own toy. he'll get the picture.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Get size appropriate chew toys that are safe, rawhide is not the best vets will tell you how many surgeries are done to remove rawhide from the intestines. Find toys that you can put peanut butter in. Toys that will make them works at it is best for chew happy dogs.
    genav

Answer by genav at 12:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Oh also my dog has a wooden box in the living room that has all her toys and it thrills her she has her own private stash.
    genav

Answer by genav at 12:07 AM on Jan. 22, 2009