Why does juice give my 2 year old diarrhea?

I water my daughters juice down. I probably do about 70% water and 30% juice and she still gets diarrhea right after drinking it. I would stop giving it to her, but she really likes it and asks for it.

freespirit227

Asked by freespirit227 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Here's some interesting reading on the topic from the AAP:
    The Use and Misuse of Fruit Juice in Pediatrics
    http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;107/5/1210

It is likely the sugar that causes the problem.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Is it orange juice? Some children have a hard time with citrus juices. There can be alot of acid in it. Also, maybe she is having an allergic reaction to it. If not orange juice, what is it?
    M2Mommy

Answer by M2Mommy at 11:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Id check the juice to make sure there isnt some sort of preservative in it that she may have an intolerance to. Even dyes can give a child intolerance or allergies. For instance my son whose now 16 is allergic to red dye. He cant have it. He gets a rash. If not then look at the fruit content and see what the majority is, and she may have an intolerance to that fruit.

Answer by gemgem at 11:38 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Its apple juice.
    freespirit227

Answer by freespirit227 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Hmmm.....Is it pasteurized? Maybe try another kind of juice or just give her water or milk. Actually juice is not necessary. She can just eat her fruits instead of drinking them. That makes me wonder.... can she eat apples and not get diarrhea?
    M2Mommy

Answer by M2Mommy at 11:54 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• No she doesn't get diarrhea after eating apples...

And really now that I think about it she gets diarrhea from all juices. I guess I am just going to have to tell her no and make her drink water and milk:(
    freespirit227

Answer by freespirit227 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I switch off between Apple juice and Pear juice. My dd never gets a loose bowel movements after pear juice. Just switch it up or just give her apple juice a couple times a week. I finally had to do that.
    kelsbecca619

Answer by kelsbecca619 at 12:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I'd keep her off juices. I know certain ones give my kids diarrhea...and citrus is a big NO NO here. It's not worth it, really....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I had to cut all apple juice out of my son's diet until he was five. He could not even have fruit snacks or skittles without getting diarrhea. It was pretty bad. This is not all that uncommon. My sister and I were the same way. I would switch to a different juice and wait a while before trying it again.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 12:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My son will also have loose stools if he drinks juice at dinner for a few days straight. I also water it down A LOT! I think all the extra sugar is also hard on their system. I would just cut her back and maybe only let her have an ounce with water once a day or every other day and see how she does. good luck!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 12:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2009