Need a book or dvd about sharing friends

I dropped my daughter off at Pre-K this morning and one of her teachers told me they have had a couple of incidents with my daughter regarding sharing her best bud. She insists on always sitting next to her and if she can't she cries or scouls. She is not mean to the other children but it is obvious that she wants to always be by this little girl's side. The other kids like my daughter and want to play with her but she only seems interested if they include her best bud too. At lunch my daughter is OK if they have assigned seats and she is not by her pal but if it is "free choice" seating she gets very upset if she can't sit next to her. I love that she has found a best friend but I want to encourage her to have many friends and be gracious when another child seeks her out. Anyways, I obviously need to have a talk with her but I was wondering if anybody knows of any good children's books or DVDs on this topic. Thanks :-)

M2Mommy

Asked by M2Mommy at 11:34 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• ya having the same problem with my 9 yr old,,only its another girl.she is posesive with my daughter. well jess can play with anyone(within limits)i told her she doesnt have to play with this one girl.i felt bad.well the mother got involved and made sure my daughter didnt play with anyone.my daughter was mortified.for about 2 weeks she didnt play with anyone.so my advice to you is tell her to have other friends.maybe invite another gorl over to play.i dont think i would tell her that the other girl is just being mean and her mother is a jerk.tell her its ok to have alot of friends.the mom did turn on me.i think she is controlling.oh well. live and learn...good luck
    blsource

Answer by blsource at 12:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Thanks ladies :-) Well, last night I had a talk with her and mentioned alot of your points. I told her it is OK to have a BF but it is also fun to get to know the other children and that she should feel flattered if another child wants to be her friend. I told her that you can have many friends and that so can the other little girl and still be best buds. We decided to play a new "game". She is going to try to sit next to other kids and then when she comes home from school mommy is going to try to guess who it was. She seemed to like the idea. I told her that if her best bud sits next to her that is OK too and not to tell her best bud she can't sit next to her. I basically told her to let the other kids sit next to her and for her to seek them out too. She must have caught on because a few minutes later she asked if we could invite another little girl for a playdate. I am dying to know how it is going today!
    M2Mommy

Answer by M2Mommy at 10:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2009