Daughters jealousy.. much needed advice please!

My friend came over with her 9 month old and when my husband picked the baby up, my 16 month old started screaming crying. Fell on the floor crying so hard. Then every time the baby came to me for me to pick her up, my daughter ran over to me crying trying to climb on me. Problem here, im due in June with our 2nd baby. And her reaction towards this 9 month old last nite completely threw me off guard and scares me! How can i breastfeed the new baby while she is climbing on me? Gosh im in trouble. Advice anyone?

Mommy103110

Asked by Mommy103110 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When you bring the baby home, give your toddler a baby doll; you can breastfeed your babies together

Answer by rkoloms at 12:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2012

• Just make sure that your DD receives lots of attention after the baby comes. Daddy will need to spend extra time with her, especially when you are busy with the baby.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2012

• Make her your big helper for everything imaginable when the baby comes. And praise often. Plus make sure you get one on one time with her.... not just with the new baby.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 12:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2012

• My husband works all day so he only gets a couple hours with her in the evening before bed. She loves her baby doll and i thought by teaching her how to be sweet to the baby doll that we wouldn't have a huge problem but, we do. Should i just ignore her when she is trying to climb on me while im caring for the baby, and wait to give her extra attention until after im done feeding/changing the baby?
    Mommy103110

Comment by Mommy103110 (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2012

• I'm with rkoloms. Let her have her own baby.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2012

• Check out the hospital to see if they have any programs for new big brother/sisters. Talk to her about being a big sister and make a big deal of it. For example, she can do things that the baby can't or she can be mommy's helper with the baby. Try training her with a baby doll of her own and tell her that this is what you're going to have to do when your new baby comes.

When the time does come, when the baby is sleeping do special stuff with her so she sees she is important. My own dd wanted to feed the baby and help change diapers. We have pictures of her giving him a bottle. She would help with diapering by getting me the wipes and the clean diaper. It's the little things that would make her feel important.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 2:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2012

• Have a cuddly together time with extra attention before it is time to nurse the baby. Read some books, etc. Then set her up with her baby doll with "wipes", "diapers", clothes, bottle, etc for her to use with the doll. Or turn on an educational video, etc. Stock up on some new items (like the videos and small toys) to have on hand for the first few weeks to help distract and entertain her. It will work out even if there are a few tantrums mixed in!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 2:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2012

• like others have said its really that extra effort of putting attention into her when number 2 comes along. help her to feel included like maybe holding a diaper well your changing or have her sing to the baby. My dd was about the same age when I was preg with number 2 and she did not like me to hold other babies. but when I had my son she did great with him I was so surprised. I made her feel like it was our baby not just mine... she was mad at me for leaving her well I was in the hospital but did not hold that against her brother
    Blessed_mom1102

Answer by Blessed_mom1102 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2012

• Thank you guys so much! Im gonna try including her in taking care of the new baby and also buy her a baby that has a bottle, diaper, clothes etc. And see how it works! Thanks ladies!
    Mommy103110

Comment by Mommy103110 (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2012

• You will be surprised at how quickly and naturally these kinds of things fall into place and work out. It's flawless.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2012