cloth diapers, help would be greatly appreciated!

we've been using seventh generation for almost seven months. lately, i've been really thinking i want to switch to cloth. is it too late? i mean, will it be worth it now to spend the money? what do i need to get started? where would i look? are used/hand me downs okay to use? do i need anything special to clean/wash them? how much do you think i will need to spend? i have no clue, and not much time to do the research, and would greatly appreciate any help/suggestions/info you could offer! thanks in advance! ~dana

kyriesmommy13

Asked by kyriesmommy13 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Never too late because you have at least a year and a half. So many great services out there and choices! These are not the cloth diapers our mothers had to use that is for sure. I personally like the ones that come with Velcro - now how easy is that? Got to love it. Just know your child's correct size, usually goes by pounds. And such cute decorative diapers as well as being so eco friendly. Thank you for caring about your child and the Earth enough to consider this option. I did biodegradable/flushable diapers. Not very easy. Cloth really did seem the better way to go. Next time around it will be all cloth for me.  In the long run you can save a bundle on the diapers by going cloth.  I like the idea of using a service but that does tend to bump up the price tag.  Go green moms!

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I think that there is a cloth diapering group that could probably really help with this. If you are really thinking of using cloth, go for it. If you are going to have another one, you will get to use them again.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 12:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• we switched to cloth with my daughter when she was about 17 months old and she potty trained by the time she was 2 years 3 months. And we got to figuring the amount we put into the cloth and the amount we saved in just that amount of time and we only saved about $50 dollars but we are due April 1st with out second and don't need to buy a single diaper or wipe. So your still early in the diapering phase, I'd definately say go for it. And we bought used but made sure to sterilize them first, and if that creeps you out to bad then you can always buy seconds, their's a slight flaw in them so they don't sell them for full price but they still work as well. If you have any more questions, just send me a message and i'll be happy to answer them for you. And there are diaper groups in here or to get used diapers, we went threw diaperswappers.com. It's a slightly confusing but awesome sight.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 12:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• thanks ladies! i will check out the sites and groups. i had looked into diaper services when i was pregnant, but the last one supposedly closed a few years ago. i had thought, several times, about starting an eco-friendly diaper service in my area, but now we are moving. unfortunately, i don't think we'll be having any more kids :-( but i guess i can sell them, or give them away when i'm done. thanks again!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• it's definitely not too late!
    i didn't switch my daughter until she was almost 2 and it really think it helped her with potty training.
    i would suggest checking out one of the cloth diapering groups here on cafemom--there's tons of info and helpful links.

personally, i prefer pocket diapers, i just think they're easier but there are lost of different types to choose from.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2009