How can I help my soon to be 2 year old stop sucking his thumb?

Hi!
My little one is 21 months old, and he sucks his thumb. I am worried about the development of his teeth first of all, and I am also worried about kids making fun of him when he is older if I doesn't stop.

I would like to start weaning him from his thumb when he turns 2, but I am not sure how to do it. He only does it when he is tired or going to sleep, and he has a certain blanket that he hangs on to when he sucks his thumb.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Suz_Q

Asked by Suz_Q at 12:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i have always been told to put something nastly like vinegar or hot sauce on his thumbs and that should help break it.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Castor oil.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 1:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My daughter, who is 3 yrs 9 mos was just broken of sucking her fingers so you know I tried everything. I got "NO Bite" from Walmart- nail section and she was broken in 2 days!
    Bebo67

Answer by Bebo67 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• If he only does it when he's tired or going to sleep, why not let him go a little longer. I bet he'll stop on his own soon enough anyway.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 3:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2009