Did/Do you feel pressure to use a more 'normal' name?

I love strange names and right now am going back and forth between a more traditional name and a weirder one. A few people have told me they 'hate' the weirder name, but I love it. I could care less about these particular people's opinions, but I feel some pressure to go with the more normal name anyway. Did you get pressured into naming your child the name you liked less b/c you were worried the one you wanted would be too weird?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no, we named out daughter what we wanted to. They already got to name their children, its now our time to do that.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I dont care what ppl say.. I name both my boys just what i wanted... You have to say them, what does your heart say to do... Dont fall in the crowd! Stand tall mama...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My first 3 all have really common names so we are looking for something a little more original for the 4th. I do like the names that we have for the first 3 but they are just so common. My sister has a really different name. She hated it when she was little b/c no one could say her first name or last name. Now that she is in collage she really likes having a differnt name.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 12:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Oh yes, some people hated my daughter's name, especially the spelling (Jossalyn). But I stuck to my guns, and that's what's on her birth certificate :D People will just have to get over it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I didn't feel pressure to use a name one way or the other... what I did think of was how my kids would feel about their name when they were older. I went all through my teens hating my name and it wasn't til I was in my 20's that I learned what my name meant and love it. :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 12:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i think the more out there and weird a name is, the better. i joke about naming my daughter napkin because there is no other person out there in this world with that name. i think originality is much better than normality :]
    Naivenewcomer

Answer by Naivenewcomer at 12:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• People will be saying negative things about the name/names you pick even if they aren't necessarily "weird." The name we picked for our soon-to-be son isn't exactly common but it isn't outlandish and yet people are still making comments about it. People can have their opinions, don't let them pressure you. This is your child and if you want to give it a special name you go for it, no one else's opinion matters because believe me, even if you were naming the baby Jane or John, someone will open their mouth up about it.
    gretch81

Answer by gretch81 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• No pressure at all. People will always say negative things though. Heck, I wanted to name DD Chloe and was told it was a disgusting name by my mother.

I think you need to pick a name you love, whether it's weird or traditional you know?
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• ok i dont have a problem with weird names but remember your child does have to grow up with this name so just dont name them things like lemonjello prounounced exactly like you see or orangejello pronounced O Rahn Gello not kidding you these were two brothers in my mothers school she had to do speech for. now i could live with the kid named sephiroth sp? but naming your child after gelatin desserts is a little far me me personally so just remember your child has to live with the name you give them until they are old enough to legally change it themselves
    Alexsmom07

Answer by Alexsmom07 at 1:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• For this exact reason I do NOT ask for input from my family as to the names I have selected for my children. The name must be one that both my hubby & I love, one that is not something my kid will hate me for naming them : ), and one that is not likely to be teased when they are older and in school...thats just my way of doing it : ) good luck
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 1:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2009