What do you recommend?

My dd8 is in the third grade but I am finding out she is in a second grade reading level :(
What can I do with her that we already are doing. Help!
It seems to me that she has trouble with sounding a word or puts a letter in a word that doesn't need to be there while spelling...

Thank you ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would ask the teacher for suggestions. I would also ex
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 11:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2012

• Sorry, I would also expand my time spent reading to her and listening to her read exponentially.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 11:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2012

• See about getting her into some after school tutoring. I have a daughter who still reads on a kindergarten level and she is 11. She has improved so much throughout this year with her new school and they have worked with her so much. Also at home every night we have her read a few pages out of her chapter books she gets from the library.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2012

• Read to her and have her read to you. Ask her what the paragraph means.
    Practice spelling the words. Flash cards
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:03 AM on Mar. 12, 2012

• If you can afford Sylvan or a similar program I would do it. It's so important to catch reading issues early and make sure she catches up before she gets too far behind. If you can't afford it, ask the teacher for community resources for tutoring.

Answer by missanc at 8:05 AM on Mar. 12, 2012

• practice, practice, practice. she should be reading at home for at least a half hour every day. make it fun by alternating pages with her

Answer by rkoloms at 3:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2012