Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Job options? What seems a better pick?

I should have my degree in hand soon. I am volunteering at the school and know I have to get my teaching credentials so I can teach which shouldnt be a big deal. I have my bachelors, and can do a 6 week course over the summer to get my credentials. I could try for a job as a teacher at the school that way.
My other option is possibly working as a social worker at the school part time. DH and I dont particularly need the money so part time is fine. It would just allow me to be at the school like I already am and basically doing what I am already doing, but getting paid to do it. I would also have added responsibility like giving out clothing to kids with no money, getting lists of kids who needs shoes, socks, underwear and backpacks and arranging that and packing book bags on fridays with food for the poorer children. Of course Id also deal with any cps related issues too which are minimal at the school.

My other option is applying for a non accredited position like art teacher and things like that.

I can go to the job leads I already have in place which is working for cps or probation. The only problem there is not having the same hours as my kids. Which would you do?


Asked by gemgem at 6:58 AM on Mar. 12, 2012 in Money & Work

Level 42 (148,630 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • I would go for one of the school options. That way you are home when your kids are. Since the money is not really a problem, pick the one that you would enjoy most. I think with your degree the social worker position would be ideal, but if you think you would enjoy teaching more then go for it!

    Answer by kmath at 11:38 AM on Mar. 12, 2012

  • I like having pretty much the same hours as the kids. I'd go with either one of the school options. As to which one--only you can really decide that. One thing you should consider is if you do the summer course, will you have as much time with the kids this summer that you like to have.

    Answer by layh41407 at 7:08 AM on Mar. 12, 2012

  • What is your degree in? Also, what state do you live in? Because of the NCLB, every teacher (including the art teacher) has to be highly qualified, meaning that they have to have their bachelor's degree AND they have to take education classes and be observed teaching so many times. I know for my state in order to do this, they have to get hired my the school district first and then join the accreditation program which last about 9 months (first year of teaching). The problem is that there are already many highly qualified teachers who are looking for work and don't have to jump through any hoops.

    Answer by JeremysMom at 7:11 AM on Mar. 12, 2012

  • Having the same hours as your kids is a big deal. It's great to know that you are off when they're off from school. I worked part time 9 - 2 for a number of years, which was great. When they were younger they didn't get home until 3:40, so it gave me time to go grocery shopping or do some other errands before they came home. If money is not a problem I would do the part time social worker position, if it's something you enjoy. If not go for the teaching position.

    Answer by robinkane at 7:24 AM on Mar. 12, 2012

  • Work at the school.

    Answer by louise2 at 7:26 AM on Mar. 12, 2012

  • If you can finish up your education courses and teach I think that would be ideal. If you can get your cert during the summer that would be awesome. I know that I was able to teach in Texas but when I came to MN it would have taken me almost two more years to be able to certify to teach here.

    Answer by BrawnwynII at 7:36 AM on Mar. 12, 2012

  • Another thing that just occurred to me is to find out if you get paid during your student teaching. That is probably something you'd want to consider too.

    Answer by BrawnwynII at 7:48 AM on Mar. 12, 2012

  • I would pick whichever has the best career track.

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:51 AM on Mar. 12, 2012

  • I have a degree in Psych and Sociology and like I said would only need my credentials to teach I already looked into it. I have experience in the class room and with lesson plans already because I worked as a certified tutor for an agency through the NCLB. I know I wouldnt have as much time in the summer, but thats fine because Id have all the other summers.

    Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 7:34 AM on Mar. 12, 2012

  • best career means best futur for kids ...

    Answer by caramelH at 9:58 AM on Mar. 12, 2012

Next question in Money & Work
Businees degree advice

Next question overall (Shopping)
Affordable lingerie??