What should a 3 year old know?

I want to spend the next year preparing my son (3 1/2) for pre-k. I was hoping to get him in a 3 year old class this fall, but its too expensive. I don't want him to be behind next year, but I also don't know what to expect of him. Are there any good (free) resources out there to help parents prepare their kids for pre-k?

Rshcraig

Asked by Rshcraig at 10:30 AM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am daycare teacher and you really need not to worry pre-k is all about beginings they start out as if child know nothing really. So he should do great.search online free pre k lessons whole lot to look at.
    http://www.teachinglearning.com/freebie
    even walmart has activity books for cheap.
    leovirgo_mom3

Answer by leovirgo_mom3 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• You asked - What should a 3 year old know?
    My Daughter knows all of her Colors, Shapes, can count to 80, knows her ABC's in order and not in order, she recognizes letters if I point out a word like "Sugar" she knows the letters and knows how to sound out her abc's, she's learned how to read a few words, knows her full name, address, full phone number, Mommy and Daddys full name, knows how to dial 911 in emergencys and knows what Emergencys are, She can write her name, she can write all the letters of the alphabet, and Lots more. I started teaching her when she was 4 months old. Its all about reading reading reading, showing pictures, sounding words out and more. But every child learns at there own pace, some are way ahead of the game and some are not. I'm a SAHM so I have alot of time to teach her and it payed off. Good Luck and Relax. Thats what Pre-K is for.
    Anonymous

• Stop in and talk to the kindergarten teachers this fall. Get a list of the things they expect and hope a child will know when they start kindergarten and then work towards that.

Don't worry about what "little Jane" down the street knows or what your cousins kid could do at that age - most parents either don't remember what their kid really could do at that age or they are exagerating.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Definitely the A-Z, upper scale is good enough. 1-10, or 1-20. Write his name. Shape, color and be able to sort some simple puzzle, you can start on the pattern too.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• All answers above r great. I took my twins to every age app program at my local library. they learned to socialize and to start listening to a "teacher' during programs. I also met other moms in my situation and we made a weekly playgroup.
    nycurlee

Answer by nycurlee at 1:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2008