Does anyone else have a 3 1/2 yr. old that refuses to poop on the potty? I need advice!

I don't know what happened. He used to sit on the potty & at least try, and now he refuses to sit on it at all. He holds it in & he'll only go at nite when he's sleeping because he's relaxed enough to go then. He only goes about once a week. The dr. suggested Mirilax to help him go better, but I can't even get him to sit on the potty! I've tried everything...bribing, potty charts, prizes,praising him,eTc.
Does anyone have any tips for me?

kacy23

Asked by kacy23 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• G'luck! That's about the best I can do!

My boys (all 3 of them) would ONLY potty train when they were good and ready to. The more things I tried... the more resistant they were.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• maybe hes having trouble pooping when hes concentrating. have you tried giving him something to do while hes on the potty? like a coloring page or a book you can read together. or he could just need extra fiber to help him poop more easily.
    Alexsmom07

Answer by Alexsmom07 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Is he afraid?My nephew had seen 1 scene(just one) from jaws and thought a shark could bite his hiney lol.He liked to poop behind the couch(sigh) kids...Try to watch and see hi sattitude around the potty and hey he may just not be ready.one thing I would do tho is make him help you clean himelf up when he goes in his pants or somewhere.Also if he is wearing pullups, change to big boy undies-they hate the feeling.Did you try the "you cannot go to big boy school until you use the potty" angle? that helps someimes too...good luyck mom,and don't worry he will eventually get it.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• When he is ready he will use the toilet.. dont pressure him. my son is 3 1/2 and he will only go pee in the toilet he will not sit to go number 2 he will hide in the closet or something he dont like when ppl look at him going to the restroom.. i think its normal they will come around to it..
    vmoran06

Answer by vmoran06 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My son is currently 3 & 1/2 and we are still trying to potty train. My child has some sensory and motorskill issues which causes his body to react before he knows what's going on and also has speech issues so he doesn't know how to communicate well. He's been in therapy for a while and is coming along with potty training. I've started him out by when he poops in his pull up I bring him to the potty and put the poop in the potty. I always tell him "No poo-poo in pamper, Poo-poo in potty." After a few weeks of doing that he started to go to the potty and put it in himself. A few days ago I caught him pooping on the potty. We are still a long way from getting him potty trained completely. He still pees in his pull up too. The most important thing is to not make him feel like he's doing something wrong or to get angry. Just explain to him calmly that your not angry, he didn't do anything wrong and to try again next time.
    shelleyla20

Answer by shelleyla20 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My son refused to go poop on the potty for a long time. He told me that he was scared it was going to flush him. He would pee, but not poop. So we put the seat from his potty chair on the toilet and it was his "special chair" Then after a few weeks we took it off and he would want us to sit with him or hold his knees so he wouldn't fall in (not always fun!) it took a couple months of that, but now he does it on his own. It worked for us. I hope you find something that works!
    JesiRae

Answer by JesiRae at 2:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2009