German Shepherds eating poop

To the Vet Tech: How do I get my dogs to stop eating their (and each others) poop. It is repulsive.

pattigioeli

Asked by pattigioeli at 12:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Pets

• My dog used to do this. It was reccomended that I put a bit of pineapple in my dogs food. This worked GREAT. Add a little bit of crushed pineapple to your dogs food. It really does work!

bookay

Answer by bookay at 8:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• All dogs eat poop, you can't stop them
    Anonymous

• I'm not the vet tech but:
    http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_PoopEating.php
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Hahaha my sister did a report on this in college.

I think some people scared the vet tech away, I haven't seen her around:( So sad.
    freespirit227

Answer by freespirit227 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I asked the vet tech..i'm waiting for a reply for you. I have her name I don't want to give it out just incase she doesn't want me to, we've chatted private through email, so I'll let you know as soon as I hear from her.
    Anonymous

• Someone shares my pain....I have 2 German Shepherds and they both do this. Nothing like being on the recieving end of one of their burps....repulsive is right, can't wait to see if you get some help on this one!
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I am putting my 2 cents in, as I have been in this situation before. I had a springer that would eat his poop and others as well. I was told by a vet that the reason is they do this is they do NOT digest all their food. When they poop, they smell left over food and think they should eat it. Some dogs don't digest some dog foods as well as other dog food. Now we feed 2 dogs ORIJEN. We have also fed science diet, which is a well known brand of food that dogs do digest most all off it and poop less. Since I have had them off commercial food and NO table scraps, the problem for us is a done deal! You can buy these foods at most pet stores but they are a little pricey but worth the hassle and they look and act like champions.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 1:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• FEED THEM?
    Anonymous

• I have a German Shepherd too. The vet said some dogs eat it and some don't. I think it is pretty gross too. She is only 9 months old so I pull on her leash to lead her away from it.
    helpforme

Answer by helpforme at 2:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• sometimes they do it cause they eat their food so fast that it doesn't get digested well enough and when it comes back out it still smells like their food. so they eat it up again. also it could be cause of lack of protein in their current dog food. so they eat it more often cause they lack it. like when people are anemic and eat dirt. so if you have them eating fast you can give them a little bit at a time at feeding time or if they have cheap dog food then you might want to get a small bag of a better brand and see if that works to correct it. there might be other reasons why but i don't know of any. my dogs don't. GL
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2009