Did any mommies not become engorged?

When my daughter was born three months ago I was so thrilled, but by the fifth day postpartum I still hadn't gotten my milk in. It seeemed like she was getting something because she spit up a little and seemed satisfied and I would leak just a little (but my boobs never got a cm bigger even through pregnancy). When I went for her one week checkup, it turned out she was dehydrated. When I asked the nurse and my doctor why I never became engorged or really got a lot of milk in, they seemed weird about it and wouldn't really answer my question. I know it wasn't anxiety or stress because my husband and I were so happy and I was excited to bf her, so what's the deal? This ever happen to other mommies? I still bf her and I've tried nursing her as often as I can but I still can't produce that much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't become engorged either. The nurs gave me this huge ace bandage and told me to wrap them tight because it was going to hurt and to put bags of frozen vegetables on them as well, but it never happened to me. I didn't breastfeed, so I don't know if that was part of it, and I'm well-off in the chest area, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it either.
    lmh3820

Answer by lmh3820 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• breast size doesn't have anything to do with how much milk you do or don't produce.

with my daughter i never really became engorged nor did i leak that much milk.
    with my son, however, my milk came in a lot earlier and i was also very engorged for the first week or so after his birth.

how is your daughter's output(wet diapers)? if she's having enough wet and dirty diapers then you are producing enough milk. some mothers never feel engorged. some mothers are also never able to pump much milk which can often lead them to believe that they are not producing enough.
    more info on milk supply: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBmilksupplyissues.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I never became engorged. Hell, I had to put DS on a bottle exclusively about 3 weeks after he was born because there was no more milk. I was pumping every two hours while in the hospital (week) and after I was putting DS on the breast every two and pumping in between, I never got more than a few ounces. My doctor and the lactation nurse both gave me the evil eye, like I had given up or something. But DS pediatrician told me that sometimes(rarely) that there isn't a big enough milk supply for the child. Plus I had a c-section and that makes the milk take a little longer.
    k.alexander

Answer by k.alexander at 1:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Be thankful you don't get engorged (if you are actually producing enough milk). I get engorged literally about an hour or two after every feeding, and I'm 3 wks PP!! I get so engorged that milk just starts pouring out on its own after a bit. It's nerve-wrecking!
    But if you don't think you are producing enough milk, feed your baby until she seems satisfied, then pump for about 5 minutes on each side (even if you don't get anything out). This will tell your body to produce more milk. You may have to do this for a few days to a week to up your supply. Good luck!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2009