Why do we even buy the toys...

...when they would rather play with a box, tear up a magazine, or play with a cup, haha. That's what my DD would rather play with.

(And before the bashers start, yes I know why she has toys, so she can learn, and yes I play with her, I don't just give her a box and leave her to play with herself for hours.)

lmh3820

Asked by lmh3820 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You want to see something really funny? Give your child a new box of kleenex! My dd is 13 now, I have younger kids too. But, I remember when she was 8months -15 months her favorite thing in the world to do was to empty every kleenex box she could get her hands on. And playing with a box, cup, etc is learning for them. Sometimes the best toys are the simplest toys you could ever imagine.
    eastonbennett

Answer by eastonbennett at 2:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• See, this is a problem. You post a nice, fun question, but you are afraid of being bashed. Who cares what others say. This is funny. You don't know how many times we all ask ourselves the same question. At Christmas and birthdays when they open the gift, throw it aside and play with the box. Thats funny. Not quite what we envisioned when we bought the gift, is it... LOL!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I hear ya! My kids like the unwrapping more than the actual presents.. sometimes I'm tempted just to wrap loads of cardboard boxes!
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I figured if I added it to the end of the post, I wouldn't have to try to defend myself 100 times over from them. I'm not afrain of being bashed, it's happened before and it will happen again, because there are some people on here that have nothing better to do.

And with gifts, haha, at Christmas it was like she had to taste each different wrapping paper, like they all had a different flavor!! LOL!!
    lmh3820

Answer by lmh3820 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• lol, I know how that is. My son prefers to play with plastic bags which is not my idea of something he should play with. lol. It's also sad that you had to write that message to the bashers because a question as simple as this one shouldn't have bashers. I'm not directing that to you but them.
    It's sad that someone probably would bash something like this. I know, I've been bashed on questions that were so innocent it was unreal how someone came up with a complaint about it. lol.
    Anonymous

• yea we're the same way... my hubs is like why buy a toy we can just give him a box...lol.... its so weird isnt it...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My son will crawl in and out of a box several times for about an hour strait. one time my husbend caught him doing that and he fliped the box up side right with our kid in it and started sliding him around the carpet, my son thought it was the best dam thing in the world! lol
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 1:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• DS played with is sippy cup for 15 min last night while I was trying to engage him with other toys and books, he wasn't having it. I think that's okay for them to do that, it helps them explore.
    k.alexander

Answer by k.alexander at 1:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2009