Nervous about Preschool

DH, my almost 3 y/o, and I met with the preschool he will be attending in the fall and we signed him up because we liked it, our son was comfortable and enjoyed the kids, teachers, and other staff, and they have rave reviews - the plus is it's only costing us $100 a month - so its perfect for our family. I'm just really, really nervous about sending him off. Does this feeling go away? How does that knotts in your stomach feeling go away? He goes to his grandmas for a couple hours at a time, but still isn't the same. My baby is growing up, and I'm leaving him. I can't process the feeling of my first baby going to school. I probably sound ridiculous, but could use some reassurance.

mom23boys679

Asked by mom23boys679 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter has been to two preschools and I cried on both of her first days (after i went to the car of course). It is completely normal. It is the first of many stages in which you have to realize your baby is growing up:(
    crissym45

Answer by crissym45 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My best advice is DO NOT PROJECT YOR FEARS ON YOUR CHILD! If s/he is excited about school- you act excited, this is a big step in them growing and gaining their first taste of education and independance from you (you can cry on the way home out of his sight). If you need help figuring out the best way to walk away from that classroom the first day- ask his teacher in advance- these teachers have a lot of experience helping the moms (the ones who are usually more emotional then the children) with the first few days. It is ok to cry, be nervous and a little sad they are growing up- but like I said keep that to yourself. Give a big hug & kiss and say I'll see you in a little while, I'm so proud of you- have fun! Good luck
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 2:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Thank you litstargazer - that is EXCELLENT advice. I'll definitely have to remember that. Of both my sons, my oldest (going to preschool) is most like me and overly emotional. I'll definitely have to be more strong for him than I will when my younger son goes to school (I think). It's just in his nature, so I'll remember this. Thank you! :)
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Have you read "The Kissing Hand"? It's great becuase it not only reflects the child's concerns about going to school, but the mother's as well. We want to encourage our kids to go, but there's always a part of us that wants them to stay...the kissing hand works for kids and parents, too.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• No, I haven't. Who is it by? I'm making a run out on Friday, so I'll have to pick it up. Sounds like a great read - and could help us both.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I have two in preschool...my 4 year old goes 5 days a week for 2 1/2 hours, my 3 year old 2 days a week for 2 1/2 hours.

The first day I took either of them, I was nervous about how they would take to it...we got to the door and they were off and running! "Bye mommy" was called over their shoulders and they were off and playing...

Now I can't wait for the third to go! lol Looking forward to a little quiet time!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• "The Kissing Hand" by Audrey Penn
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• until the big first day arrives, try not to dwell on it. prepare for it but dont feel its impending doom. be apart of the first day, my sons teacher said we could stay as long as we needed. practice his name so he is all ready to learn more. preschool can be scarry for kids too, but when you are at peace your child will be more relaxed. remember, its only for a few hours, although its a milestone in life. enjoy the quiet time while hes gone, soon you will be looking forward to it.
    littlebit622

Answer by littlebit622 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I was almost positive i was gonna cry on my sons first day. I didnt when I dropped him off, but when I saw all the kids comeout of the school when I was picking him up, i got teary eyed. I didnt really cry like I thought I would.
    MBsMom2004

Answer by MBsMom2004 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Thanks for the help everyone, but littlebit...I won't get ANY quiet time, lol. I have a 20 month old, and I'm due with my last in March. So just a little less work load. ;)
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2009