DS is 7 months old and doesn't crawl

We have tried everything. He just WON'T do it. He has hit all his other milestones early or right on target. He has been sitting up without assistance since he was 4 months old!!! We have toys and gyms and we always put him on the floor to help him practice but after about 5 min, he just cries. Please help!!! Any suggestions?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Remember, crawling is NOT a milestone. So don't sweat it that he isn't crawling yet. Also, many, many kids never crawl at all.
    Among babies that do crawl, about half scoot around by 8 months. Most can crawl properly - with the tummy off the ground - by 10 months. Keep encouraging him to move and use his body. Get him to stretch and reach. Help him to stand and hold on to things. And don't stress over the milestones so much. Enjoy him for who he is and where he is right now - not for what you think he "should" be doing. Use the milestone charts to spot potential problems - not doing several related things when most kids his age can - don't use them to compare or brag.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-7-to-12-months_1496587.bc
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• will he army crawl. MY DD only would army crawl for the longgest time. Do you put the toys in front of him just barley out of his reach. Don't stress about it, some will be late bloomers, who knows he might walk early instead.
    Anonymous

• my son started crawling a week after he turned 7 months, every baby develops differently, just be patient. some babies never crawl and go straight to walking
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• His favorite is the remote to the television, so we put that down on the floor in front of him and he stretches and reaches for it and sometimes pushes himself around in a circle but never really gets to it.
    Anonymous

• my son was the same way! he would roll over and just sit up. one day he just started crawling with one knee and moved my pulling himself forward with one foot. out of no where! he is 8 1/2 months old and just started on monday lol. it will happen. and if not, its not abnormal. some babies go right to walking and skip crawling all together.good luck!
    lululovexox

Answer by lululovexox at 2:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Some babies don't technically crawl- they sit up and skute on their bottoms to move accross the room or belly crawl. You never know he may start doing it next week- some babies take a little longer then the textbooks say for certain milestones. My kids both walked late 13 & 14 months- but by then they where also advanced in many other ways; like they understood and could follow direction in 2 languages. I wouldn't worry to much about it. I would bring it up at the next sechduled well baby ped appointment if s/he isn't crawling by then.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 2:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Don't stress. My daughter did not crawl until 9.5 months, ans was walking within 3 weeks. My son did not crawl until 11 months, and then walked at like 15 months.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My sister's little boy didn't crawl until her was 13 months old. He may just hit that milestone a bit later than "the average child". It's an average. Some will be earlier, some will be later.

christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 3:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My dd just started crawling the 10th, at 7 months and a week old. It is fine, he will do it soon. Like the other moms said, every baby is different. She actually crawled after a red piece of a kit kat wrapper. Then she would only crawl to my phone when it was on the ground. lol.
    brookes_mom04

Answer by brookes_mom04 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• have you used a laser light? my son loved the color red. so my dad put him on his stomach and got him to notice the laser light. he would shine it on the floor right in front of him and then move it around. eventually my son wanted it so bad he crawled. i hope this helps
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2009