question

Dad works, mom stays home ya'll know the deal...Should dad get up on his days off along with us? Sometimes we give each other a break and let one sleep in a lil...but ok I guess my question gets a lil deeper is it wrong I expect him to help out like if I make breakfast shouldn't he do the dishes, vice versa lunch and dinner like taking turns? Is it me or am I expecting to much?

BxMetroMom718

Asked by BxMetroMom718 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• NOPE I DONT THINK YOUR ASKING TOO MUCH. I THINK IT WOULD ONLY BE FAIR. THATS MY OPINION ON IT.
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I'm a SAHM, and when hubby's home he's the king of the castle, he works away from home a month at a time so I wait on him. He does pitch in with the kids but he usually has his list he's made he while he's gone so thats what he works on and we either join in and help him or I do my work around the house. I figure I would be doing it anyway so not a big deal...
    I could see sharing the responsibility if we both worked outside the home, but in our case I don't...
    Anonymous

• I see the dilemma. If he has time off, why shouldn't you? On the other hand, he deserves some times off. But then, so do you deserve some time off. You should arrange for times off for yourself. Say... every Thursday evening when he gets home from work, and every Saturday morning, are your times off. And your husband should be able to have times, off, too. So I'd suggest explaining, gently and lovingly, that your job is a 24/7 job and you'd like some time off. Tell him when. Tell him that he also deserves some time off- sleeping in on his days off, being able to chill after work (except on your free evening.) My husband works around the house all weekend, but I let him sleep in as long as he likes, and evenings after work he usually can relax.

Answer by Bmat at 1:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My SO and I have a routine for days he is home. He is off Wed morning so he gets up with her and I get to sleep in. Then Thursday he is off all day so I get up and he sleeps in (if she will let him:) No, you aren't wrong for wanting him to help out. I just make sure that he always gets some time to himself doing what he wants to do.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Right now, Nick is out of work, but actively seeking employment. I work FT and go to nursing school at night. Our kids are with a sitter during the day. Nick and I take turns with chores, but there are always times where one of us does more than the other. I have a number of health issues, so he lets me sleep in some on the weekends. I repay him by letting him take a nap on Sundays while I finish the cleaning. Trust me, it has taken us 6 years to work it all out, so it isn't easy. I don't think you're asking too much, but it sounds like you guys need to work out a system.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 2:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I would expect help. We both work outside the home so we try to split up the chores and help each other out as we have time. Even a SAHM should get some help. Just b/c you are home doesn't mean you aren't working. Unfortunately not all guys see it htis way.
    Anonymous

• Nope, thats not asking too much. I'm in the reverse position, where I work and hubby stays home. We each get 1 sleep in day a week (his is Sat morning and mine is Sun). During the week, when i get home from work; we take turns doing cooking (whoever doesn't cook does dishes) and take turns bathing (whoever doesn't bathe, gets kids ready and in bed). On the weekends, its Both of us that do laundry, vaccum, or whatever didn't get done during the week. Staying home is just as hard as going to work, its just a different kind of hard.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I don't think it is asking too much, but you might not get it. He might think it's asking too much. This is a big problem in my home.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• my hubby works all week and he puts the kids to bed every night after work but when the weekend comes i let him sleep in on sat morn and he lets me sun morn or the other way around
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 1:24 AM on Jan. 22, 2009