How to put a 9 month old girl down for a nap during the day?

She sleeps well at night on her own and doesn't wake normally until the morning but will not nap during the day unless I'm holding her. She will go to sleep but as soon as I put her down she wakes up fussing. HELP?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lay down with her they same time everyday when she falls asleep. do what it is that you need to do. Don't let her cry it out. theremay be something going on with her and she just needs extra mommy time. Because you are her number one and you make her feel secure.
    littlered79

Answer by littlered79 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Put her down at the same time everyday and walk away. Check on her periodically to be sure she isn't sick, poopy, wet, etc and leave again. She knows how to get what she wants at this age...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You are going to have to go through "hell week" where you let her cry it out until she figures out how to get herself to sleep. I know it sounds mean but in reality you are giving her the sleep she needs. At her age she needs to be able to put herself to sleep. All of this is explained in detail in a wonderful book called " The Sleepeasy Solution"
    Anonymous

• My daughter is almost 10 months and was the same exact way. I just got her to lay down herself for her full nap not even a month ago.
    Rock her to sleep&lay her down for her nap. If she wakes up, go right back to rocking her. The first week of us doing this it took my DD about 5-6 times sometimes to actually lay down and go to sleep. Eventually she will wear out and stay asleep. (My DD also sleeps best during naptime on her belly) If she wakes up in the middle of her nap, rock her again, and lay her back down. My DD has now realized that she will sleep in her crib during naptime and will take 2 hour naps and I only have to lay her down once. Sometimes she wakes up in the middle of her nap, but I just rock her back to sleep.
    You do not have to use the CIO method to teach your LO to sleep by themselves. Nor do I see a reason for a 9 month old to have to learn to put themselves to sleep. When my DD reaches about 1 1/2-2 then she will start learning to fall asleep on her own.
    kelcee_eric_bry

Answer by kelcee_eric_bry at 5:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2008