Constipation problems?

my soon to be 6 year old has had constipation problems since he was about 6 months old,because of this he is not stinky trained.the doctors say he is just holding it in which is causeing the constipation.they put him on miralax and from the time it gets in his system he does great.no accidents but as soon as i take him off of it,its back to same old thing.idon't know what to do, i feel there is more going on than what the doctors think,he will be in 1st grade next year and i need to get it under control.he goes to the doctor next week for a well check and i'm going to bring it up again.i'm just wondering has anyone else had this problem and how they handled it?

kb24

Asked by kb24 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Get some fiber capsules and open one up and slip it into his drink daily

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2012

• Have you had him evaluated by a specialist?

It's odd to me that he's had this issue since infancy and, in six years, no one has gotten to the root of the problem.

How long has he been on laxatives?
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 3:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2012

• i've tried fiber and his bowel movements get extremly huge. and no i haven't had him see a specialist but i am going to request that this time.he has been on laxatives as long as 6 months before but at the moment he is not on anything because i don't want him to have to have meds to use the restroom.there has to be something wrong.
    kb24

Comment by kb24 (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2012

• We went thru the same thing w/ my dau. Even tho she was potty trained, I don't know how she could go a week w/out pooping, b/c I would be so uncomfortable if it was me! The Miralax helps, and so does Little Tummies laxative drops. My dau has been to a specialist, and I was told the same thing. It's a control issue-that's one of the few things she has control over in her young little life. (For the record, her dad did that too when he was little) I give her all kinds of fiber in her diet, and it's safe to give them the Miralax everyday. If you want a 2nd opinion, get one, but if medical issues are ruled out, then you will probably be told the same thing. GL!!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2012

• Right, but I mean what age was he when they put him on laxatives?

I ask because bowels can become dependent upon laxatives which results in chronic constipation. If they put him on laxatives at a very early age and continued throughout the years then it's possible this is what is going on.

BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 3:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2012

• I just read what you said about the huge bm's- that's my dau too. We have to use a plastic hanger to break it up & still end up plunging! Oh the joys of parenting! lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2012

• BTW- Miralax is a stool softner, not a laxative.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2012

• he's only been doing the miralax off and on since a little before he turned 4.i honestly hope it is just something he is doing and nothing is wrong but how many children hold thier poop at 6 months old.
    kb24

Comment by kb24 (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2012

• Yeah, I feel confident that you're right. I think it's a structural issue. There are a couple of defects that kids can be born with that can cause these types of issues. Or, it may just be something more simple. Regardless, I really think a specialist is your next step.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 4:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2012

• Make sure he is drinking plenty of water and eating fresh fruits like oranges, pears, and peaches, plus veggies like peas and sweet potato
    Anonymous