my hair is falling out, litterally! I don't know whats wrong.... what could it be?

Okay. I had a baby 4 months ago, Im anemic and Yea there is the stress... I tried to see if maybe that is the cause but im not sure. Im supposed to keep up with my Iron pills and Women's one a day, but sometimes I forget. My hair is falling out big time. When I shower I get like two hands full of hair. When I wake up, my pillow is covered in hair about a handfull. I can just touch my hair and a ton will fall out. I wash my hair every other day to see if that works, nope. I don't use any products, or curl it or straighten it. I know everyone sheds hair and some more than others, but this I know isn't normal. I looked at webMD but thats no help. Idk maybe its related to something going on inside my body some major change? I recently got the Mirena, maybe that? What coul it be?

PhlyLuvzOwain

Asked by PhlyLuvzOwain at 2:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Health

• yea, did you look up side effects of Mirena?
    Anonymous

• Look up about having a baby and hair loss, there is a connection. It is not unusual for new moms to loose what seems like lots of hair. Hope that helps.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-normal-to-lose-hair-after-giving-birth_1335883.bc
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• There are a lot of women who lose hair after giving birth. When pregnant, do you remember how full and lucious your head of hair was? Well thats because you weren't "shedding" like normal, and now that pregnancy is all done and your hormones are getting back to normal you are losing all of that hair.
    Some women (myself included) don't notice the hair loss at all, and some women (like you) lose tons of it. I believe that there is a hormone your doctor can give you to help reduce the extreme loss of hair, I would talk to him/her.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I would talk to your doctor, but it is most likely due to hormones since you gave birth recently. I noticed a lot of hair loss when I was on a birth control pill - it is sometimes a side effect.
    Taviesmommy

Answer by Taviesmommy at 2:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I was having a similar problem about 6 months after my son was born.  After talking with a friend she recommended I get my thyroid checked.  I started reading on it and found I had more of the signs of a hypo-thyroid.  I got it checked and that was the culprut for that and other problems I was having, so maybe have the docs check your thyroid.  Maybe it will help!

JesiRae

Answer by JesiRae at 3:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• that happened to a girl i know because of b vitamin deficiency

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I lost PILES of hair after both babies.

An entire PERSON made of hair - like the freakin' scarecrow from Wizard of Oz.

A. LOT. OF. HAIR.

Just normal in my case, but it never hurts to get checked out. Take your vitamins, drink your water, sleep when the baby sleeps, and keep up with your doctor apointments.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Horomones..or it could be your thyroid.
    Anonymous

• I'd say most likely 1) It's from having your baby, mine fell out alot about 4 months after my daughter, to the point where it looked like a receading hair line where I parted my hair had to start parting it on the other side. 2) Mirena loss of hair is one of the side effects, as well as many many other things which I recently found out about....scary. 3) Thyroid my mom lost all her hair because of her thyroid went over active, she lost a ton of wieght too didn't even recognize her, normally it's under active. In that order.
    mamaloveda

Answer by mamaloveda at 11:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2009