what to tell my niece about my 5 mth old wiwi(private)?

i have a 3 year ol niece that lives with me. every time i change him or take him a bath shes around and always asks about his private. i just sometimes tell her not to look at it or just hurry and put his pamper on. what can i tell my 3 year old niece about it? please help. thankx

mnm0421

Asked by mnm0421 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just tell her that it is part of what makes boys and girls different.

This is his private area, just like she has one. But this is what a boys private area looks like.

Use it as a learning tool, and also as a chance to start to explain the good touch, bad touch, with her.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Just tell her that it's a boy wee wee and it looks a little different than girl wee wees. That's what makes us different. :) You shouldn't avoid it like that because it makes her more curious.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I agree with the PP. Just tell her girls and boys are made different.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 2:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• If you just give her the right word for his anatomy she will probably look at you funny and walk away. Tell her if shes not careful and gets too close he might pee on her,lol She'll gross out and run off and play...
    Anonymous

• ^^ agrees completely^^ on the anatomy part. Just explain what it is and don't make it a big deal and then neither will she.
    Anonymous

• I would act the same was as if she was pointing at his elbow and asked. Its his penis, period. Why get so weird about it? She's still a baby herself.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• tell her that is what boys have, it is called a penis, they can pee standing up when they are big boys, why not teach her about it, my son is 3 and knows men have them and dont have boobs, no hiding that!!! they just wanna learn about the world around them and have no shame, dont teach them shame, just tell the truth, nothing funny or weird about teaching them that stuff if it is no big deal to you, it will be no big deal to them as well.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2009