How to find a good pre school?

My son will be starting pre school in the fall, and I have no idea where to start. He is my first child so this is my first time picking a school. We just moved to the area (lacey olympia area in Washington State) so I don't very many people at all, especially ones with children of that age, so I don't have anyone to ask. I have tried googling it with not much results. I even asked at the local children's education shops to get some feed back, with nothing that i felt really positive about. Anyone have any tips?
I am nervous about putting him any school, so finding one is going to be tricky

JaxonsMomma22

Asked by JaxonsMomma22 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would set up informational sessions with each preschool you are interested and get to know his prospective teacher(s), discipline rules, what and how they teach things, and how they handle any special needs you son may have. This link is a great place to start it reviews local preschools and can give you insight. http://www.greatschools.org/preschool/

I would also try going to the parks on weekends and talk to other parents with children your age or older if you are more social.

amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2012

• Start attending a house of worship, and ask congregants where they send their children; JCCs usually have great programs (and non-Jews are welcome)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2012

• the above posters have some good ideas; also ask friends and neighbors and co-workers if you work outside the home do research on the preschools in your area and get as much information that you can and then compare them
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 13, 2012

• Go to your local Library. They usually have a list of Preschools (in the children's section). Ask one of the ladies there since sometimes local preschools have open houses at the library. Ask the ladies for opinions on Preschools too. They usually know since they talk to other Moms who go there for toddler play times. Then make a list of schools & stop by these schools UNANNOUNCED during the day, actually early in the day when the children are there. They will give you a tour & you can see for yourself first hand how things are run. Go before summer break! Look for security, safety (CPR ability), how many children in a class (the smaller the better) & how the kids look & are attended to. If they are in a class running amuck then pass on that school. They need to be organized & calm. The closer the school is to your home the better . My Son goes two days a week for 5 hrs per day & LOVES it! GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:16 AM on Mar. 13, 2012

• Also, local papers have preschool advertisements.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:21 AM on Mar. 13, 2012

• Well, personally, I would tour and interview each one I was considering. As a general rule, avoid programs that are all day - they are daycares or MDO programs in disguise.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 11:23 AM on Mar. 13, 2012

• First, I'd make write myself a list of what I'd hope to find in a preschool program. IS there a certain style of program you'd prefer? What days of week, length of day? Price range? Then I'd make some calls to schools in your area - ask them question to help determine if the teaching style (do you want worksheets and 'structured' learning? Do you want hands-on learning (sometimes referred to as learn through play.) Does the cost fit your budget? Does the schedule work? Narrow your list down to schools that match your wish list. Schedule visits to those schools. Request a tour during the school day. Take your child with you. See if how the staff and students interact and how they mesh with your child's personality.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2012

• Talk to people. But the big thing is call the different schools and ask for a tour, bring your son with you. Talk to the teachers. When I was going back to work we interviewed several day care centers. Some had cameras where I could log on and view my child. I didn't like that. There are too many hackers and pedifiles who can hack into these web sites. Ask about the schedule, what you are required to provide and what they provide. How do they handle problems, like kids hitting or biting. Ask if parents are allowed to pop in during class time. If they say NO, run away. It means they are hiding something.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 2:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2012