Stay at home or work?

If you HAd A CHOICE to be a stay at home mom or a working mom, which would you choose and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• If I had the choice and money was no issue whatsoever, I would stay at home, but put my kids in school or daycare for a few hours a week.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I did have the choice whether I wanted to keep working or quit my job to stay home with my son who was only six months old at the time. I decided to stay at home since it seemed like the best option. Meanwhile, it's not as easy as it looks to be a stay-at-home mom and now that we're expecting a third, going back to work is no longer an option. I think my ideal scenario would have been working part-time - maybe two or three days per week and being home with the kids the rest of the time. Then I could have gotten out and "had a life" outside kids and the kids would have benefited from spending time with other children their age in daycare. That would be perfect!
    SteppyPa

Answer by SteppyPa at 2:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I would stay at home. I hate, hate, hate working!! I feel like I am missing out on so much of my daughter's life. My house would be spotless, home cooked healthy meals every night, and tons of quality time with my princess...I totally envy SAHM's!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 2:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I had a choice, though it meant being very poor for a while. I chose to SAH. I didn't have kids so that someone else could raise them during their most important years.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 2:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• SAHM. I sure miss those days.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 3:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• SAH, i teach so i know from experience, it is easier. no offensive, i do all the same stuff as when i work but i dont have to work 40+ hours a week too, i dont feel that my son misses me too much because my dh is wonderful with him ... we work opposite shifts so that my son only has to go to montessori prek 2 days a week for half days.... so it mainly for selfish reasons i would wanna stay home, it would make my life so much easier but we cant afford that.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i am a sahm and i love it, no one knows your children like you do. and you dont miss out on all of the first that they have or the funny moments or the really cute moments.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 3:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I am a SAHM and it is a very difficult job. ( Don't get me wrong, I am VERY lucky to be able to stay home ) I don't think working mom's realize the HARD work of entertaining your child all day, everyday. And still trying to mantain the household, along with cooking and taking care of the hubby.
    I would NEVER go back to work now until my LO goes to school, but it is the hardest thing I have EVER done was be a SAHM. You lose a little of yourself.
    Anonymous

• I was a SAHM for many years but have since gone back to work, by choice (I was bored) but my kids are all in school full time.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2009