Do conservatives covet Obama's success? (because a question was closed before I could answer)

In the past conservatives have used the word "unite" to mean "submit." On the other hand, liberals define "unite" to mean "engage." Obama is reaching across the aisle, across national boundries, and across cultures to solicite engagement. The only things that he has said that will remain in stone with regard to his policies is that they will be shaped from core American values. He's invited anyone with a better plan to submit it. But it seems that the conservatives are more interested in critisizing plans unformed and unwilling to participate in the discussion in the shape that they should take.

I think many conservatives do not understand the language of dialougue and compromise. Yet it is this language the rest of the world speaks. Because of this I think conservatives are envying the success of Barack Obama.

What will it take for us to get conservatives to engage in the change that is both necessary and inevitable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Please prove me wrong about conservatives by first stating the infliction of such cruelty and embarrassment upon a teenage girl and her family is unnacceptable. I truly beleive conservatives would get much farther with their positions, including abortion, if the popular misgivings people have over issues like this weren't rivaled by a greater disdain for the people who campaign on its behalf. Be the change we hope to see in conservatives: show us how compassionate you are while you're preaching it by demonstrating some for the issue I raised.
    LuvUrMother

Answer by LuvUrMother at 7:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Why do you feel the need to drag the conservatives to the other side. We like it over here, If I wanted to be over there, I would go over there. But I'm not.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Who's asking you to come over to the other side? No one is asking you to switch parties. We are asking you to be an American.
    Anonymous

• I hope that people will unite and support one another, and our new president, as much as possible without compromising thier own principals and personal truths.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 2:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• We are asking you to be an American.

Umm, to be American is to hold your elected officials accountable and voice your opinion. Speak Free. I believe in the Constitution, I believe in America. I am an American.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Please explain how the Liberal congress attempted to "engage" with Bush the last several years? Explain how they were reaching across the aisle?

I *do* hope Obama can get people to unite...but as long as there are attempts to polarize and pigeonhole like this sort of question, it's simply not going to happen. We can't come together when too many are still trying to point out all the ways we're so far apart with the finger pointing and the "it's all your fault" rants.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• That being said. I will give Obama kudos where appropriate. But he does not get a Free pass without accountability.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• ALL right...first day people...it's his first day. HOLD YOUR accountablity till HE has done something right or wrong.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• NO ONE is asking for a free pass. NO ONE is saying give him a free ride. Hold him accountable that is GREAT. BUT give him a chance. Stop twisting everything around will you
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• We are trying to come together Dems and Reps and Independants. It is going to take everyone to fix the wrongs not just Democrats. Help would be appreciated but the bitterness is not helping.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:45 PM on Jan. 21, 2009