What was your favorite quote fro President Obama's speech?

I have a few but I think this one is my favorite one.

“The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works — whether it helps families find jobs at a decent wage, care they can afford, a retirement that is dignified.”

SheriSanchez

Asked by SheriSanchez at 2:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• omg i have so many.. but let me see if i can pick one or three.. :-)

1- "Now, there are some who question the scale of our ambitions - who suggest that our system cannot tolerate too many big plans. Their memories are short. For they have forgotten what this country has already done; what free men and women can achieve when imagination is joined to common purpose, and necessity to courage.
    continues

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 2:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them - that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long no longer apply. The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works - whether it helps families find jobs at a decent wage, care they can afford, a retirement that is dignified. Where the answer is yes, we intend to move forward. Where the answer is no, programs will end. And those of us who manage the public's dollars will be held to account - to spend wisely, reform bad habits, and do our business in the light of day - because only then can we restore the vital trust between a people and their government." B. Obama

ny.chica

• 2- "As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our Founding Fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake. And so to all other peoples and governments who are watching today, from the grandest capitals to the small village where my father was born: know that America is a friend of each nation and every man, woman, and child who seeks a future of peace and dignity, and that we are ready to lead once more." B.Obama

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 2:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• 3- "So let us mark this day with remembrance, of who we are and how far we have traveled. In the year of America's birth, in the coldest of months, a small band of patriots huddled by dying campfires on the shores of an icy river. The capital was abandoned. The enemy was advancing. The snow was stained with blood. At a moment when the outcome of our revolution was most in doubt, the father of our nation ordered these words be read to the people:

"Let it be told to the future world...that in the depth of winter, when nothing but hope and virtue could survive...that the city and the country, alarmed at one common danger, came forth to meet [it]."
    continues
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 2:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• America. In the face of our common dangers, in this winter of our hardship, let us remember these timeless words. With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents, and endure what storms may come. Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations." B. Obama
    ny.chica

• ok. one more
    "As we consider the road that unfolds before us, we remember with humble gratitude those brave Americans who, at this very hour, patrol far-off deserts and distant mountains. They have something to tell us today, just as the fallen heroes who lie in Arlington whisper through the ages.

We honor them not only because they are guardians of our liberty, but because they embody the spirit of service; a willingness to find meaning in something greater than themselves. And yet, at this moment - a moment that will define a generation - it is precisely this spirit that must inhabit us all." B. Obama
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 2:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• well this isn't from the speech but i think its hilarous " I have visted (thinking....) 57 states not including alaska and hawaii" haha
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• And so to all other peoples and governments who are watching today, from the grandest capitals to the small village where my father was born: know that America is a friend of each nation and every man, woman, and child who seeks a future of peace and dignity, and that we are ready to lead once more." B.Obama

OOOOHH I liked that part too, I cannot believe there were people who said his speach wasn't that inspiring, oh yeah that's right they were the right wing elephants sh*tting on everybodies dream of a better America, God forbid a Black Democrat brings it to us. WOOT WOOT I AM LETTING THE LIBERAL INSIDE OF ME FREEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 2:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• You know someone wrote that for him. A black Democrat huh SheriSanchez., why does race have to be a factor?
    Anonymous

• The line that he said I liked was: "So let us mark this day in remembrance of who we are and how far we have traveled."

To be honest, he didn't inspire me. It was a good speech, but I thought it would be more intense. Sorry. Not trying to be mean. I won't pick it apart, but nothing compares to Ronald Reagan's inauguration speech in my opinion. But I am a Reagan Conservative, so what do you expect.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2009