Have you took your 1 year old on plane?

Im moving to another state and will be bringing my daughter on plane buy o my lap cause i dont have enought money for another ticket.... what types of things did you do to keeo your little one busy?

nesamama

Asked by nesamama at 2:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Travel

• my son flew alot his first year, i just brought crayons and that type of thing, and he was usually pretty good, they like just being on the airplane! i didnt have one at the time, but if you have a portable dvd player with headphones i bet that would be a big help too. i dont know if you have a window seat, but if you dont if someone would let you sit there, my son loved looking out the window! also, bring lots of their favorite snacks!
    christa2244

Answer by christa2244 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Well if your little one is as busy as mine I would bring a DVD player with his favorite episode of whatever, would not let him take a nap for the whole day or wake him up really early so that he would sleep most of the plane ride. People (even a doctor) have suggested Benedryl but I have never done such a thing just too scared and tend to think of negative outcomes. Bring a huge bag of patience too and if the flight is empty they usually sit you next to empty seat and let you bring and infant car seat which is awesome. Bring favorite snacks, blanket, drink and small noise maker toys that he has never played with before.
    Jasperiah18

Answer by Jasperiah18 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Well, I flew with my son when he was 2 months old: he ate and slept..
    When he was 4 months old: ate and slept
    When he was 10 months old: it got a little tricky. He needed snacks of course and his sippy cup. Books are good to bring with you and my husband had his iPod that he has movies on so we downloaded a couple movies on it for him, and it was a good size for him to hold and watch. We didn't do the crayons or anything with too many little pieces because he was sitting on our laps (we also couldn't afford to get him his own seat, and didn't think he would sit in it by himself anyways). But, reading was really good for us because he loves reading.
    Anonymous

• Bring crayons and coloring books and toys the'yre also helpful!!!!
    nat_mom_of2

Answer by nat_mom_of2 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Have you TAKEN - the word is TAKEN!

~sigh~
    Anonymous

• Have you TAKEN - the word is TAKEN!

~sigh~

Someone who cannot type complete sentences should not correct another poster's grammar, especially if they will not add their own name to their post.

My daughter has been on a plane many times since she turned one year old. It helped that she was really into Little Einsteins and I told her we were riding on Rocket. We did the little "pat, pat, pat" thing during take off. I also had a portable DVD player. I refuse to let her use earphones because they can damage hearing. Books, especially coloring books, are very helpful. Be careful in regard to what snacks you bring. The last time I traveled, the rules were that you could not take a juice box past the security checkpoint because of the three ounce rule.

sillymoo

Answer by sillymoo at 9:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I acutally moved overseas with an 14 month old and a three year old. You can shoot qustions my way.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• The kid is one, so there isn't a lot of crayon play happening I am guessing (?) Bring a pacifier or bottle; have the child use it for take-off/landing. the sucking helps. Also cheerios or crackers. Books are good. We had a DVD player w/ Baby Einstein and Sesame Street.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• we took our son from mississippi to italy, he was ten months. there were three seperate flgihts. the first hour long we gave him a bottle, and just talked to him the whole time. the second flight, twelve hours, we gave him snacks and a lot of formula and he slept most of the time. the last one hour flight...holy moley he unleashed his fury. we had changed his diaper and somehow it got twisted and mid flight he decides to take a gigantic poo, EVERYWHERE!.anyways, if its a simple flight dont stress ask for drinks or snacks and a book with colorful pictures and offer gadgets that make a few noises nothing overly loud. we are on another flight here soon which i have a felling is going to go very awkward, he hates being held hates his pacifier during the day, so we will see i wish you all the luck and it will be just fine. everyone on the plane understands.
    chance010507

Answer by chance010507 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I'm a former Flight Attendant and I fly with my kids about twice a year between Europe and California, plus other flights in between. Their first flights were all at 4 months of age and I'm usually alone.

Even though you haven't bought a ticket for her, ask at check-in if the flight is full. If not, ask if they can put an empty seat next to you to use your car seat. Bring the car seat to the gate anyway, just because 1. you never know if there will be a free place at the last minute and 2. gate-checing is safer than checking a car seat as luggage. It will be handled with the wheelchairs and strollers.
    Eclipsepearl

Answer by Eclipsepearl at 12:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2009