Define "Non-Believer"...

We all believe in something so what does this term really mean? I am a HUGE Obama fan and was so proud to watch him become the new pres. But in his speach he mentioned "non-believers", christians, muslims... yada, yada... SO, my question is in YOUR mind what constitutes a "non-believer"...

**Not a debate... Just YOUR opinion please.
Who is a NON believer?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I thought it meant someone who was not A Christian that what it means to me
    Anonymous

• I think of non believers as being Atheists.

RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I have always thought a non-believer was someone who believed in nothing, meaning Atheists.
    InkedVixen

Answer by InkedVixen at 3:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• When I hear most people say it it means non-christian.

But technically Id say its anyone who doesnt believe in a God or Divine presence,etc.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 3:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• If you read any of the popular atheist blogs, they were happy to be mentioned, but most dislike the term non-believer. It would have been so much better had he just said Atheist, or even better Freethinkers or Humanists. But considering that Bush didn't even consider atheists to be Americans, it's a step in the right direction to be given a seat at the table, instead of being treated as second class citizens.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 3:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• To me, a "non-believer" is someone who doesn't believe in whatever the speaker does believe in - it's rather subjective to whoever is calling someone a "non-believer".
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I think "non-believer" is a politically correct phrase that Christians have adopted to refer to any person who does not practice Christianity.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• What JP's said. If he specifically meant atheists and anti-theists, that means he was purposely excluding a lot of others, not just pagans but Buddhists, Native Americans and any of a dozen others you want to list.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Non-believers are Atheists, as in not believing in the divine.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 4:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• does't put faith in the concept that there is a spiritual Higher Power?

Answer by admckenzie at 4:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2009