Have you heard this quote

"Genetics loads the gun, but environment pulls the trigger."~~
Judith Stern, University of California, Davis

Do you believe this quote, do you think some adoptees would have been doomed to repeat the problems (addictions/issues) that their birthparents passed over to them if they were not taken away and raised by Adoptive Parents in healthy enviroments.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2012 in Adoption

• It's the age old question, isn't it? Nature vs. nurture?

Both have merit and are closely intertwined.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 1:47 PM on Mar. 13, 2012

• yes
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2012

• Never heard that before.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 1:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2012

• I love how you assume all birth parents have addictions and issues and all adoptive families are healthy environments. Nice.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2012

• And I love how you conveniently miss the word "SOME" in my original post.

Please enlighten me to where I used the word "ALL". Go ahead....I will be waiting.

If you dont believe SOME adoptees were placed due to addictions or unhealthy enviroments, then you are completely out of touch with reality. There are some Moms who are dealing with the results of addictions every day.

Save your drama and go try to ignite somewhere else.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2012

• Doomed is a strong word. At risk would be a better way to think of it. There isn't a way to ensure being raised in an adoptive home lowers the risk. Genes are tricky. We sometimes follow in foot steps even when we can't see those prints.
    Anonymous

• I personally believe ,in a bit of both.
    My mother grew up with a step father who was abusive and her father was an alcoholic.
    She became an abusive mother,because it was her environment,all she had ever known and lived.
    She has never been a drinker,and thus has never been an addict or alcoholic.... Go figure.
    I was severely abused by her,yet have never raised an angry hand toward my son,ever.
    You have but two choices,you either become your envirent,or
    You become better than that of which you have known:)
    You decide!
    luvmyboy1979

Answer by luvmyboy1979 at 5:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2012

• I think there is an advantage to knowing what the gun is loaded with. If cancer runs in the birth family and you know it you can make darn sure you do everything to prevent it, but it still might get you. If you have no idea what might be there (health problems, learning difficulties, special talents) then you are flying blind. What if your adopted child came from a long line of talented musicians and you kept insisting that he sign up for sports when he wasn't the least bit talented or interested?

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:56 AM on Mar. 21, 2012

• I have been hearing things like this a lot, especially since we have twins. Personally, I think it's a bunch of crap. I may exhibit personality traits of my parents, but I don't believe things like alcoholism are genetic. They are learned behaviors and if the adoptive parents aren't alcoholics (for example), the children won't be. Just my opinion.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 9:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2012

• "Please enlighten me to where I used the word "ALL". Go ahead....I will be waiting."

Still waiting for this response..., maybe the four people that "liked" a inflamatory post have an explanation?.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2012