I have a 7month and 2days old baby girl and she has a cold. I went to the doctor and Sat and she said it should only last for five days. Well today is the fifth day and she still is coughing and still is warm. Is it okay to still give her tylenol Infants' Drops ? I have been doing everything that the doctor said to do and now I need some advise from mothers who have had babies with the same symptoms. Please help me. Thank You Jaeleens Mommy

JaeleensMommy

Asked by JaeleensMommy at 3:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is uncomfortable it's okay to give the Tylenol...just watch the dosages you give (amount and time).

I don't know why she would tell you it would be over in 5 days...the worst of a cold will be over in 5 days but the coughing and such can last up to 3 weeks...even in an infant.

Continue with her head elevated, running a humidifier (cool mist or steam, whichever works better for her), steaming and suctioning in the bathrooms, using saline nasal drops, etc...keep her full of fluids, it helps the mucous not clog up (keep things flowing)...If she has a fever for all 5 days, she needs to be seen, though...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Yes. it will most likely make her feel better and help her sleep. I started using Infant drops at about 4 months. I hope she feels better soon.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 3:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Just keep doing what they told you to do.
    I agree with TIccledBlue - I have no idea why they told you it would last 5 days unless they meant the worst of it would only last 5 days. It usually takes 7 to 10 days to get over a cold and can take weeks longer for the last of the cough and runny nose to go away.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• YUP agree with them (kaycee14 ad ticcledblue) within 7 to 10 days it should be over (symptoms) but the cough and runny nose might take a while longer just remember it is ok to give her the tylenol but not for a very long period of time because she can create a resistance to the medicine and the cold might get back to the beggining, if the cold persists just ring up your Doc and let him know and also ask him to prescribe something different than the tylenol.
    Hope ahe gets better soon!!! ;)
    nat_mom_of2

Answer by nat_mom_of2 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Thank you so much to all of the wonderful mothers who answered my question. I'm really glad I asked Jaeleens Mommy p.s. I forgot to ad I don't have a humidifier so what else could I use?
    JaeleensMommy

Answer by JaeleensMommy at 7:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2009