• In the Spotlight:

girlfriend issues

i have a girlfriend who i used to go out with often. i go out less now, but every time i do go out, i go out with her... or do things like paint pottery or shop... point is, i treat her like a best friend. lately i feel our relationship is uneven. if she's invited to an event, she hasn't been extending the invitation. she hangs out with another "woman" (who doesn't have custody of her kid) and this girl doesn't really like me... but we 've been friends for ten years!!! i know i need to let this go and concentrate on my kid and full time job (she has no kids and is no longer married and doesn't have a full time job.) but it hurts my feelings. i am always there for her, it's not coming back around.

mrsmostafa

Asked by mrsmostafa at 3:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• i been through that on more than one occassion. Just let people go their way Let them go and she is not your friend. friend do not treat you like that.. It sound like you are very active and like to do different things you will find new friends and you will feel better. SOme people come into your life for a season or for a reason. she is your season. it was a nice season and that changes..lol
    Chu-Chu1973

Answer by Chu-Chu1973 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I know what you are going through.. I went through it... I just let them go, an when they are dont being stupid, they called me back... But we are not the friends we used to be... I wasnt going to act like a dead beat mom just to hang out with them...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I am sorry to hear this. Friendships do change over time. It sounds as if your two boats have drifted apart. As sad as it is, it sounds as if it is time to let her go and to be open for other friends. She may drift back into your life, but right now she isn't.

Answer by Bmat at 3:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Girl, this happens so much. Everytime I try to make a good friend, it seems like I get stabbed in the back. It seems like it happens more so as you get older. I would let it go. Do not invite her any longer and give her some distance... see if she comes around... maybe she will experience how you are feeling. Lots of luck to you.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 3:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• she texted me to borrow a dress for the opening of a club, but didn't invite me! oh well. at least my hard working ass is good for something... buying clothes that she will eventually wear!
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 4:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• send her a letter, don't be rude, or assume her other friend doesn't like you, but be honest. Tell her you miss her, & you feel like she is rejecting you, or something like that. Don't jump to conclusions though. She has every right to hang out with her new friend. They may have different interests from you, & may enjoy doing things that you dont. Maybe they are in similar positions in life, so it's easy for them. I'm sure there was no contract made that she have to invite only you to all the events she is going to. Don't think into it as much as you are, go on w/ your own life. She will come around, but if you are a true friend, you would know she loves you & you would not care about her other friendships. All you need to worry about is if she is happy, that what friends care about most is there friends happiness.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I had a BFF since we were 11. She got divorced just as my DH and I moved back to town after his time in the Army. She and I were pretty close (we were SILs for a short time, she was married to my DH's stepbrother :D) And when I came back I thought it would be the same, but she wanted to go party and date! And I was married, going to school. Our lives were different. She's married now and has a little girl, but we're still not close. We chat online some, but it's just superficial stuff. I had another friend later, she was like a sister to me, but she was killed 2005. I really haven't had luck with friends as an adult. I think you should cut your losses and try to find a friend you have more in common with. GL :o)

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2009