• In the Spotlight:

can you feed cooked shrimp to a 11 month old?

I was once told not to feed a child under the age of 2 seafood, is this true? I would like to give my 11 month old cooked shrimp, being he is already completely on table food.

eafrench

Asked by eafrench at 3:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• if your 11 month old is really good at chewing, i would try. just cut it up into small pieces. you will never know unless you try and i dont think it will hurt
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Well, my neice was eating it at 11 months old. I waited until just last week to introduce my daughter to shrimp (she is 20 mths old). However, she was introduced to squid, fish and crabs around a year old. I'd say call your doctor and ask. Shell fish allergies are a very scary thing.
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 4:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• You are supposed to wait because of the risk of shellfish allergies. I had no idea, my daughter's been eating shrimp since she was like 12 months. I'd wait to be safe.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I'd ask your doc just to be safe. My kids both ate shrimp really young.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Personally, no. There are several people with shellfish allergies in my family, and I wasn't willing to risk a bad reaction..plus shrimp is easier to choke on than, say, halibut. So, I waited.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 6:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My son was eating shrimp and crab and scallops before the age of 1. But we don't have a history of shellfish/crustaceon allergies on either side. (Shrimp, crab, lobster are NOT shellfish - they are crustaceons. Shellfish are scallops, mullosks, oysters etc. even tho shrimp and crab etc are lumped under shellfish for allergy purposes). He didn't have any problems. BUT - the more history of food allergies you have in your family the greater the risk that either "shellfish", nuts or milk can cause an issue.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2009