My son has recently started getting up at night 3 to 4 times a night now and just wanting a bottle and going back to bed. I am not sure what is going on with him.

He used to sleep through the night atleast 3 nights a week and now getting up every few hours. He won't take a pacifier and can't be soothed back to sleep unless he has that 4 ounces of formula. This has been going on for about a week and a half. And I thought he could be teething again but I have seen no sign of them coming in and the drooling has stopped after he got his first and only 2 bottom teeth. He will be 8 months in about a week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe he has a little cold? I would also count his daily oz intake- maybe its time to give him a little more per bottle throughout the day to get him full enough. Is he eating solids ? Maybe a bigger dinner? Both my kids have gone through periods of night wakenings at dif ages- it is usually very normal and they get back on track rather quickly. good luck
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 3:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Try giving him some rice or baby food before bed. Make sure he is full. He might be going through a growth spurt.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 3:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My daughter does that when she is about to start a growth spurt, and then she sleeps more than she eats for a few days to a week.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 3:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• He is a growing boy! My son is only 2 months old, but he has slept thru the night since the first night I stopped waking him up for feedings. However, every once in a while, he does the same thing. He just doesnt seem to get enough! As soon as he eats, he passes right back out. If you're not giving him cereal or baby food yet, ask your ped. if its ok and feed him that at night, before bed. If he is already eating this solids, try feeding him a lil extra at bed time.
    JessicaD1108

Answer by JessicaD1108 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I agree with the other answers . . he's probably going through a growth spurt and needs a little more before bed to make it through the night . . I suggest adding a little rice cereal to his last bottle and hopefully that will help . .
    BeautifulMomof1

Answer by BeautifulMomof1 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• sounds like he just wants that midnight snack. try some water (distilled, of course). when he realizes he won't get that midnight treat, he should start sleeping better....unless it's a growth spurt.
    MommyToJessica

Answer by MommyToJessica at 6:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Im having the same problem with my 5 1/2 month old! She used to sleep through the night, but now she wakes up about twice a night to have about 2-3 oz of formula and fall right back to sleep. Lots of times during the day she will play with the nipple of her bottle, and bite anything else she can get in her mouth. I know shes teething, but will not take a pacifier. I just let her chew on the nipple for a little and eat as much as she wants, and that usually puts her back to sleep. I also use a swaddle blanket that velcros to keep her from squirming to much and waking herself up. We havent used it recently because we just moved and I have no clue where it is!
    kimberly7952

Answer by kimberly7952 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2009