How many items in the self checkout?

Ok so I just went to Walmart and had about 10 items there was only 1 express lane open and it was way long so I look at the self checkout, there were 3 of them open but all of them had people with carts overflowing with groceries! So how many items will you go to the self checkout lane with? I don't use it unless I could go to an express lane instead.

goaliemom93

Asked by goaliemom93 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'll only use it if I have a few. I hate those things, they are irritating. They get touchy if they don't think you bagged an item. Even when I did! The lady has to come over all the time anyway and punch in her code. Mights well go to a regular check out line.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I don't mind self check outs because my first job back in the day was as a grocery cashier. I could ring up a huge order without the help of some of those idiot cashiers. The problem with taking large orders through those things is that they bagging circular has a weight sensor on them. As you scan, it knows if you have bagged the items and it doesn't like for you to take items off before the order is complete. For that reason alone, I don't go through if I have too many things to bag in the small area allotted. There is not real restriction on it, so you can't really complain if someone goes in with a lot of stuff.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I only use it for 15 or less items.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 4:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i use it only if i have a few items. I think its kind of rude when people have shopping carts full of stuff and they go to self check-out; as if it dosent take long enough through the regular line!!!
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 4:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I'll use it whenever. i'm pretty fast so i can check myself out as fast as a paid cashier can
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I thought it was 12 items or less like the express lanes themselves.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 4:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• whatever the sign says... different stores have different limits.. maybe a couple over...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I am about to have my fourth child in as many years (I've basically been pregnant since January 2005, when people ask how far along I am I say "oh about 48 months!") in our area Wal-Mart is the only inexpensive place to get groceries as there is only one store in our area who doubles coupons up to a dollar (someplaces don't even double any coupons) and I'm not about to pay $3 for generic graham crackers when they are $1.09 at walmart, know what I mean? Anyway unless I go grocery shopping at Wal-Mart before 7 am or after 10pm I have to take the shortest line, whether or not it is the self checkout and I have a cart overflowing. I have almost passed out several times waiting in line because it generally takes me 45 minutes of waiting to be done and all the blood pools at my feet. I can't go during the week because I am a SAHM and like I said about to have 4 kids under 4. No way I could go with all of them! CONT...
    naomianne2

Answer by naomianne2 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• CONT>>> So I am probably that lady you look at with scorn. It is annoying and it takes a long time but if there are only 2 people in front of me, and my super wal-mart has only 8 of 30 lanes open during the busiest time of day, then I am totally going for the self-checkout. I'm sure they don't want any fainting pregnant ladies in their store... although... hmmm... I wonder if there would be an insurance payout for that? lol or at least more lines open in the future!
    naomianne2

• I never use those things - too much of a bother. I would much rather wait and have it done for me.

naomianne2 - I know what you are going through. I was on my second pregnancy when I fainted in a Kmart at the checkout line. I was so embarassed when I came to that I just grabbed my daughter and got out of there as fast as I could. Anytime after that if I felt the urge to faint I would bend over the shopping cart handle, close my eyes, and slowly breathe in and out until it passed. One time I just had to leave the cart in the line because no one would let me in or out and I knew I just had to sit! So I left it there and walked out. If I see you struggling with your kids and your groceries, I'll come on over and help you.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2009