Do you think Obama being our new President is going to improve race relations?

Do you think that new days are coming as far as race relations go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Race relations will not get better and may even get worse cause all Obama and his supporteers do is bring it up. Even in the Benediction prayer during the inauguration yesterday, the preacher, who was black, made a little rhyme and at the end...he said he hoped "white would embrace what's right". If that's not divisive, I don't know what is. Imagine if Rick Warren said in his opening prayer that he hoped blacks would stop smoking crack. It wouldn't be a fair statement (cause most blacks don't smoke crack), and people would riot over it. Well, the statement that the other preacher made was highly unfair as well. I think most white people are over the race thing. It seems to me that it's reverse racism that brings it all back up constantly, but white people must keep quiet cause for some reason, we are bad.

Anonymous

• short answer _yes... a little not a lot but it will help...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I hope that race relations will get better, however my fear is that it will make them worse. I have heard a lot of people around here say things like "now that we have a black president, we are going to be treated better because our ancestors were slaves" and crud.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 3:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• No, based on some of the people around here. There will always be racists and bigots, it is, unfortunately, a fact of life. I wish it weren't so. But take a look at some of the women here, always saying "Obama got elected because he is black" or "Blacks voted for Obama" or some such thing. Instead of focusing on the fact that he was elected based on the ISSUES and POLICIES of both of the candidates, some people will never be able to see past the color of his skin. It is sick and a disturbing trend that continues to be propogated in our country.
    Anonymous

• No, based on some of the people around here. There will always be racists and bigots, it is, unfortunately, a fact of life. I wish it weren't so. But take a look at some of the women here, always saying "you don't like Obama because you're racist" or "Racists voted for McCain" or some such thing. Instead of focusing on the fact that people voted against based on the ISSUES and POLICIES of both of the candidates, some people will never be able to see past the color of anyone's skin. It is sick and a disturbing trend that continues to be propogated in our country.
    Anonymous

• Nope.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I thought we weren't supposed to look at his race? I thought this wasn't about race?
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I am praying that it does. I have high hopes, only to see them disapate when I read some of the terrible things coming out of some of the moms' mouths around here. We're at a terrible, terrible time right now, and to see and hear all the bitterness come out is really sad, disgusting, immature, and completely Unamerican. We needed anger BEFORE things were getting done...changes are FINALLY about to happen and NOW the anger? NOW the disgust? What happend to pulling together in hard times and working together for a common good? There will ALWAYS be bitterness and hate in the world...I only hope we can pull away from the STUPIDITY of it....racism is stupidity, plain and simple. Along with bitterness towards progression. I have no idea where these people came from. But goodness always prevails, ALWAYS. Have faith :D
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 3:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i have to agree with the nos on this one because over the past few days i have seen more division between the races then i have in a long time.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 3:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• mamakirs, look at her question again....really read it. she isn't saying that at all. quit bouncing to the first irrelevant thought in your head.
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 3:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2009