Help?My teenager has baracaded himself in his room!

My teenage son was aware that if his grades fell below a C his computer would be taken away, and he also had to keep his room clean, take out the trash, empty the dishwasher. His math Grade was still below a C, (D+) and he looked me in the eye and told me his room was clean, I asked kinda clean or really clean, he said relally clean...When I went up there there was garbage everywhere..(he isnt supposed to have food in his room because he refuses to use the Garbage can) so I let him know that if it wasnt clean by the next day I would be taking the computer cords while he was at school, told him I was serious and gave him the evening to get it clean...When I went in there the next day, I went through it and piled all the garbage from behind the computer under the desk, behind the bed, and put it in a pile on the floor. He put his dresser in front of the door and wont come out. That was at 5:00 last night..Help!

hadituptohere

Asked by hadituptohere at 3:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i dunno. heres what my mom did to me though-i tried that once and when i finally came out (he has to come out sometime) she took my door!! off the hinges-gone! she said having a door is a priveledge, not a right. i can have my door back when i earn my right to have a door. needless to say i didnt try to lock myself in my room again.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• If his room is on a separate breaker from the rest of the house shut the power off to his room! I've done it and believe me it works fast! At the very least he will come out if he gets cold or to ask about the power, tell him it goes back on when he has done what you asked.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Good one SThompson21. My parents also took the door off our hinges and I have done that before too, you may be able to do it from the outside depending on you hinges.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• The two above me have great ideas. Good luck!!
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• my parents took my door too!
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 3:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i think its a right of passage as a teenager-losing your door. lmao
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Wow. I was going to make the same suggestions. You ladies are good.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I'd just ignore him.
    Anonymous

• Ok first off is he still locked in his room now? Meaning he refused to come out and go to school today (if so i hope you didn't call him out let him be truant and face that penalty)? If so I would shut off power to his room, make sure he can not make phone calls (a quick call to cell company can temp turn off phone) and make sure he can't use home phone. Then when he comes out take his door and computer cords and explain when he wants to follow the rules and do as he is told he can try to earn those back. if he stays locked in much longer you might want to cant your local police department for some ideas on how to get him out.
    xmasbaby73

Answer by xmasbaby73 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I would take the door off to and not sign a note for school. call the school and tell them to handle him as an illegal absence!!
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2009