milk or juice at meals

My son is 13 1/2 months old and I give him milk with all he meals about 6oz in the morning and at lunch time but before going to bed I give him 8oz. At snack time I give him juice or water but my mil told me I should not been giving him milk at every meal time and I should give him some juice or water instead. I told her the dr told us it was ok to give him milk at every meal and to give him juice or water for snack it's up to use what we want to do but she doensn't listen because she thinks she is right and she gave my son juice at lunch time instead of milk and I was kind of mad because she did that and my hubby doesn't see why I was mad. I rather not give my son juice with his juice because milk seems to make him more fuller then the juice does. So what do you give our toddlers during mealtime and i'm wrong for getting mad at my mil.

LoriAnn87

Asked by LoriAnn87 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's funny you asked this because I have the same issue with my MIL. She gives my daughter juice all day long and it makes me nuts! Of course I can't say anything about it . Trust me I have tried. I would go with what you want to do and not what the doctor or mommy dearest says. How is his size? For my daughter she is on the tiny side and she is a picky eater so I give her nothing but milk. Juice is when we go out since I have a tendancy to forget the cups in my car and/or we are out for awhile and I don't want the milk to go bad. I also give her juice on hot days or when she is sick. Juice is a treat in my book. But that's just me
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Listen to your childs Dr.
    Anonymous

• Juice fom the store is just as bad as soda. It is full of sugar and even the 100% juice has so much sugar and calories it is not healthy at all. My daughter gets milk or water at every meal and has juice (fresh from my juicer) cut 50/50 with water only once or twice a day. I wouldn't listen to her.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 3:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I would listen to the doctor. I dont give my daughter milk for every meal, but most of them. I give her a variety for breakfast and snacks including milk, water, juice, and sometimes kool-aid with her lunch, and almost always give her milk with her dinner.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• We always had milk with meals. Juice has a lot of sugar, so if it is between water and juice, make it water, or at least mix the juice with water to cut the sugar.

Answer by Bmat at 3:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• we always do milk with breakfast, juice with lunch, and milk with dinner. anything inbetween is water.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 3:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I mainly do milk (rice milk because we have a dairy allergy) In fact, if my son drinks juice more than once a day, I will most likely get a really runny daiper later.

so, milk is fine. Just like the doctor says!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Does your MIL have a pediatric medical degree? That's the person to whom I'd listen.

As for juice or milk...juice is a treat and NOT a necessity to his daily nutrition. They're supposed to get (according to our pediatrician) get 20-24oz of milk per day.

We always give milk with their meals...unless they are sick and choose water.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My son has been drinking milk since 10mths and drinks it every two hrs or three when he eats meals. Depending on what he has for snack, I mix equal amount of juice and water once a day. I try to get him to drink water sometimes but I still have to mix 1/8 of juice with it so he will drink it. He is now 16mths
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 4:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• We give them Milk for B-fast and Dinner. For lunch we give them Juice. In between for snacks it's water. But my kids are toddlers.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2009