Im baptising my son next month (catholic)

I am baptising my son next month and at first i asked my husband n he was ok with the whole catholic thing and just the other day he was saying he wanted our next baby to be baptist and i tyold him we cant have our kids different religions....is that wrong of me to baptise my baby Catholic?....he was fine with it at first, i think someone is maybe talking to him and terlling him things i dont know! :-(

2KandyS0Sweet9

Asked by 2KandyS0Sweet9 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think since you two have different religions that you should wait and let them decide when they are old enough to do so. In the mean time both of you should teach them about both religions.

Anonymous

• I don't understand parents that baptise or dedicate their kids... I'm not cutting on you personally I just don't think it's EVER right. You are promising your god that that child will be faithful and follow that path. But, that's not your choice to make. It's the childs. And let's face it, a child can't make that disition. SO why do it at all? Let them choose their path when they are grown.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Just remember that in baptising your child, you are making the promise to raise them in the Catholic faith - if you feel this is not a promise you can uphold, discuss with the Priest or whoever is preparing you for the Sacrament.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• all my kids are baptized and if when they are older want a different path so be it but when they are young they will go my way and i will respect them when they are older
    FIVEHAPPYHEARTS

Answer by FIVEHAPPYHEARTS at 5:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Just wait for the child to decide on his own
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 6:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Maybe I'm wrong (because I don't practice anything) but isn't Baptism for a baby to save its soul from Pergatory (according to Catholics)? And baptism in most general Christian religions is more symbolic for the parents and then when kids get older they get baptised again when they are "of age to make a self dedication to Jesus"? If that is the case, then why not do 2 baptisms? Baptist first, then Catholic? That way the baby can participate in either and choose later on.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• You are promising your god that that child will be faithful and follow that path. But, that's not your choice to make. It's the childs. And let's face it, a child can't make that disition. SO why do it at all? Let them choose their path when they are grown.

Catholic Baptism is not promising God that the child will be faithful and remain Catholic, one person cannot make that promise for another. Catholic Baptism washes away original sin and gives the child grace necessary for salvation. The promise the parents and godparents are making is to instruct the child in the Catholic faith.

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 11:00 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Catholics have 7 sacraments, three of those (Baptism, Eucharist, Confirmation) are called the Sacraments of Initiation. An adult person is not fully initiated into the Catholic Church until they have received all three sacraments. Confirmation is when the 'adult' child makes the decision to live their life as a Catholic.

erdavh