I got a new 2 1/2 month old puppy

I want him to be an outside dog, and he's gonna grow to be a big dog (pitbull and rotweiler mix), and big dogs make big messes....he always cried when he's outside, what can i do for my puppy so he will like it outside?....

2KandyS0Sweet9

Asked by 2KandyS0Sweet9 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Pets

• Some dogs just don't like to be outside so I don't think you make him
    Anonymous

• at 2 1/2 months old, he's a BABY. He should be inside with you guys for company and socialization. Would you tie a 2 year old baby outside?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Tieing a pit bull up and leaving him outside is not good. Pit Bulls (even mixes) need to be socialized properly. Why have a dog if it's going to stay outside? Most people consider their pets family. The dog will do you no good tied up in the backyard. It seems mean to me but I guess that's MY opinion.

Two and a half months is awfully young to be left outside. Puppies are playful and need lots of attention, exercise, and love. How cold is it where you are? Do you have proper shelter? Water...that's not frozen?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Also, big dogs don't always make big messes. I can show you a picture of my Pit Bull and my American Bulldog sitting in my nice house if you'd like. They don't tear anything up and are great family pets. My pit weights 70 pounds and my bulldog weighs 105 pounds.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• THE DOG IS NOT TIED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE HAS THE WHOLE BACKYARD TO PLAY IN AND HAS BLANKETS TO SLEEP ON AND TOYS TO PLAY WITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THE WEATHER IS A LITTLE COLD BUT WARMING UP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2KandyS0Sweet9

Answer by 2KandyS0Sweet9 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Whats the point of having a dog if he is just outside? my opinion may be biased however, since i live where it gets to be -20 outside and i work with dogs as well... If you do keep him outside, i would definitely invest in a training class.. just to work on socialization and basic stuff. Dog attacks usually involve outdoor dogs who arent well socialized with strangers or other dogs....
    Anonymous

• That is way to young to be outside by himself. They need to be with you and socialized at least to a year or you are going to have nothing but problems. If you just want a dog to live outside please don't have a dog. I am a foster mom for a rescue group and we get WAY too many dogs that the owners want when they are little but get bored with and then dump off to be someone else problem when they have behavior problems after not being socialized properly. We just had to put a pit mix down after 8 months of trying EVERYTHING to socialize her after she was put in a backyard by her pervious owners. Even with trainers and many people who loved and wanted to help her, she was just not trustworthy and began to be a danger to herself and any person around her. PLEASE let you puppy in to live with you--they are pack animals and need to be with others--they are not meant to be alone--especially when they are just babies.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 5:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• One thing I DONT understand is WHY do people want a "pet" and then just throw it outside....dogs are social animals...ALL breeds. I have 2 pit mixes and they love company. Of course they will cry outside...If youre purposely going to MAKE a dog be outside....I would rethink gettting a dog. Their pets, not there for your convenience.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Why would you want a dog, if you are going to leave it outside all the time. Dogs shouldn't be left outside 24/7.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 8:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I DIDNT ASK THE QUESTION FOR A WHOLE BUNCH OF PEOPLE TO TALK SHIT ABOUT THE WAY I RAIDE MY DOGS....I ALSO HAVE THE MOM N THE DAD(A PIT & ROTWEILER) WHO SATY OUTSIDE) AND THEY ARE JUST FINE.....N THEY BOTH BEEN OUTSIDE SINCE THEY WERE REAL LITTLE AND THEY ARE JUST FINE AND GREAT WITH PEOPLE....WHEN U HAVE BIG DOGS THEY ARE GOOD TO BE OUTSIDE TO PROTECT YOUR HOUSE....AND LIKE I SAID THEY ARE NOT TIED UP, THEY HAVE A BIG YARD, ALWAYS HAVE FOOD AND WATER....PEOPLA SHOULDNT JUDGE IF THEY DONT KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2KandyS0Sweet9

Answer by 2KandyS0Sweet9 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2009