Why do some moms when mentioning Obama refer to Kool Aide, what does it mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If anyone does the research about "drinking the kool-aid" they will discover that many of the Jim Jones followers did not willingly drink the kool aid. A lot were forced to at gun point, the children had it injected in them with a syringe. That was not a happy go lucky utopia..A congressman and several others were shot to death trying to leave after they figured out it wasn't a peaceful cult after all.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Me thinks cult. Haven't seen it myself (the comments) so that's just a guess.
    Anonymous

• It is originally a reference to Jim Jones forcing cult members to feed their kids poisoned kool and drink it themselves. It has since evolved into a generic term to mean mindlessly doing as you're told without putting any real thought into it. The term is not exclusive to Obama supporters, as a simple google search of +Kool Aid +Palin or +Kool Aid +Republican will illustrate.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I was wondering the same thing but the cult thing sadly makes sense. Not that I agree that it's a cult issue at all all though!!
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I'm going back to my old lady group for the day. GEEEEEZ.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Man...I am so OLD.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Shhhh, they just had another documentary on about him on the History channel last week - pretend you didn't know and just happened to watch it!
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Feeling my age, too... Jim Jones is the right answer. And I remember that clearly.
    Junecleo

Answer by Junecleo at 4:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Hey, I don't think I'm old! Maybe I am (25) but I knew about this! I do watch a lot of history channel though lol.
    Anonymous

• I am 29 and holding. I umm... saw documentries on the discovery channel about the 70's and 80's yea...that's my story. I don't care what you say I was not born in the 60's.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2009