Cloth Diapers (need some info. please)

My daughter is 13 months old. We have always used regular diapers. But money is tight now and I have been told that cloth diapering is a lot cheaper. Only problem is, I know absolutely nothing about them. I feel stupid asking, but how do they work? lol. Like wouldnt everything just leak right through them? Do they actually save money? How many do you need to buy? Are they good for overnight use? Please, tell me everything that I need to know.

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You save money, yes. :) You can get just white cloth diapers from Wal-Mart, the plastic liners for them which keep the pee and poo inside, pens ...and I think that's all you need. Look up a cloth diapering group on here. They'll be able to help you out!
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Depending on which ones you buy they can be a very expensive initial cost.
    Here are the different kinds:
    1. plain old cloth diapers-you can buy these in packs at stores like Target or Walmart, but they need a diaper cover otherwise the clothes will get wet. I think you can get a pack for around $10. Because they sty wet against the baby's skin they need to be changed often.
    2. nicer looking cloth diapers-these also need a diaper cover, but they are more absorbent and comfortable for baby. If I were to guess a price I would say around $10 for 1. Could be more, could be less depending on brand.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 4:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• 3. All in ones- These are the ones I used most of the time. These do not need a diaper cover. You use them like a disposable, except you wash them instead of throwing them away. I love the Bum genius ones. These usually run around $15 each
    4. Diaper cover- these are worn over the cloth diapers to keep clothes from getting wet.

They also have flushable/reusable liners that you can place in the diapers so the urine doesn't stay against the baby's skin.
    If money is tight I would buy a few diaper covers and get a few packs of the white cloth diapers(#1 on the list) and see how it goes for you. Some people find it hard to do laundry so much. You can check out www.diaperswappers.com for some more info.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 4:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• yes they save a LOT of money. Try the link the above user suggested (diaperswappers.com) I personally like a pocket diaper the best. Bum Genius is my favorite. I know you said money is tight and you will have to spend some money to get started but it is really worth it. As said, I mostly use Bum Genius and my daughter even wears those overnight with no leaks at all.

As for how many you will need...I have 24 Bum Genius (you're looking at $400 for that many-free shipping) and I wash them every 2 days. At 13 months old you're probably spending $40 a week in diapers, not to mention baby wipes. So they will pay for themselves in no time. You also save money by not having to go to the store to buy the diapers and wipes. You can then save those diapers for a new baby or you can sell them when you're done on some place like DiaperSwappers
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 7:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2009