How do I get a teacher to accept my son ?

My son has CP, autism, and brain abnormalities yet he is looked down upon because he doesn't act like all the other kids, how do I get his teacher to accept him for who and what he is?

Nik317

Asked by Nik317 at 4:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would speak to the principle about the teachers behavior. I would also go to this website it can lead you to agencies wear you live who advocate on behalf of special need children.
    http://idea.ed.gov/explore/home
    xmasbaby73

Answer by xmasbaby73 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Talk to the principle. A teacher isn't supposed to treat kids differently because of their disabilities. If the principle doesn't do anything then go to the district. work your way up.

You are the best advocate for your child.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 4:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I hate to say it but....Find another teacher. I have found that no matter what you do, you can't change someone's view of a person. My son's 1st grade teacher treated him like he was just an annoyance. He has some behavior problems and is on meds for it. I wanted her to stop viewing him that way and she never did.

It sounds like your son deserves a new teacher. One who will accept him and love him for who he is!!
    Anonymous

• It should not be your job to correct a teacher for looking down on your son with special needs. I would seriously consider finding another school in your area or asking the school to have him transferred to another teacher within the school with more experience working with a special needs child. It might be just me, but I have a hard time trusting that she would actually change and accept him versus just behaving differently while you're around watching her. That would be an awful feeling.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• You would really think a teacher would be compassionate and understanding.If you feel she is not and is a bad problem it's not fair to your child.He is just as precious as all the other kids and is capable to learn to.I would ask the principle to switch him to another class since you feel he would progress better with a more compassionate patient teacher.
    summerray5

Answer by summerray5 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2009