i need advice for the know it all toddler

my daughter is only 19 months old and she thinks she doesn't have to do what anyone tells her.even something simple like pick up your toys.She understands what I am telling her and knows the words no. she just gives me this look like mom you do it.So i try to help her and then she doesn't help.She constantly is testing her boundries and i don't know what to do.I'm not for spankings but when i put her in her crib she just thinks if she cries i will let her out.this is wearing me down i need advice on how you moms get through it and what you do with your toddler in a situation like this.

ilovemylilymae

Asked by ilovemylilymae at 4:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With my daughter I make her pick up the toys. Literally. I take her by the hand, hold her hand on the toy until she picks it up, and then bring her to the toybox. Usually I just have to do it for one or two toys before she gives in and helps clean up her room. I also will sometimes sing. There is a cleanup song that works.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 4:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• this are some of my problems that i'm having and maybe this will help to better answer my question.
    1.She constantly feeds the dog her food and then after i tell her no she still does it.An hour later she will start to cry nummy nummy which means she is hungry.
    2.She always throws her toys in the trash and i tell her no and make her pick them up and then i was her hand but twenty minutes later she does the same thing.
    3.She hits me .when i tell her no she will hit me.
    4.she throws her toys at me.
    I'm going crazy because i can't find a way to make her behave.please help me.
    ilovemylilymae

Answer by ilovemylilymae at 4:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i never though of singing while cleaning up good idea

ilovemylilymae

Answer by ilovemylilymae at 4:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Let her stand in the corner until she's ready to do what she's told. If it's something you KNOW she can do.....let her do it. If it's something kind of involved or new...help her.

Make sure you're TELLING her, not asking. They know the difference!!

Will you go pick up your toys, please?
    Go pick up your toys, please.

The first gives them an out...you're asking a question to which they can, by all rights, answer to the negative. They're tricky like that!

Let her stand there and cry..it's not going to hurt her and she will learn that she doesn't call the shots...you do. No, she's not too young.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• When my kids test me, I don't disappoint them.I'm more than happy to step up to the challenge. A little spank to let her know who's boss isn't gonna hurt her. Put an end to it now before she gets any older, because the defiance will increase with age if it's not dealt with.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• As far as food goes, you know what, you feed the dog you are done, let her down and nothing until the next meal no matter how much she thinks she can work you! Maybe she'll eat at the next meal. As far as toys, it's a phase, and she'll learn she can't throw them. If she throws them put them up beyond her reach and tell her when she can learn to play nicely she can have them back. If she wants it bad enough, she'll learn to quit throwing things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Jan. 22, 2009